55 gallon fish (loaches)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
The tank:
55 gallons
Penguin Biowheel 350 filter (350 GPH)

Plants:
Amazon Sword
Onion Plant (Crinum thaianum)
Anubias (looks like the amazon sword kind of)

Fish:
7 gold barbs
6 platys
6 white cloud minnows
4 long fin danios
7 cory catfish (3 schwartz, 3 albino, 1 green)
1 clown plecostomus
1 betta (not picked on at all by other fish, they leave him alone)

I was thinking of getting some kind of loach to add. Would it be compatable? I was thinking of a yoyo loach, but was wondering if any other kinds would be good in my tank (and what sizes they get up to). Also, any other suggestions would be appreciated. I just got the 55 gallon, I"ll be testing it daily for a while but it should be cycled fine. I used all the rocks from my old 30 gallon and have the same filter I had on the 30 gallon, same decorations, etc. Also, are yoyo loaches common in LFS, or would I most likely have to order some online? Any advice on a couple other interesting fish I could add to the mix would be appreciated as well. I don't want to overstock though. I can probably handle a light overstocking because I do PWC frequently and monitor the tank, I just don't want it to look cluttered.

Here's a picture of the tank currently:
http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/taiyeddreamland/my fish/?action=view&current=DSCN1290.jpg

The window is facing north and trees, so it doesn't get much sunlight, and I hae lamps lighting it for now because I have to get a new bulb for the canopy part.

Thanks!

you can fit alot more fish in there IMO if u keep up water changes...

There are lots of interesting loaches... just to name one, a dojo (weather) loach
img_766376_0_366c1dd76c0840b49984b14a94cc5e31.jpg

Get get more cory cats... im gunna say get 1 more schwarts one more albino and three more green

Doesn't the dojo loach get really big? I guess I'm kind of lost as to how big is too big too. I'm used to having a much smaller aquarium. Looking back, I even think that maybe my old aquarium was only 20 gallons. I thought it was 30. So, my size scale is a little thrown off. So looking at the loach profiles, I was thinking of the yoyo loach because it was the biggest smaller loach. I added the cories slowly, so mostly I have the mix because that's what the pet stores had when I went there. Otherwise I'd have all the same. Thanks for the information!

dojos get 9-10" i think. Yoyos would be a good choice, but I would get a pack of 6. They get to be about 4" long, and are readily available at all of my lfs. Anything in the botia family will require more than 3.

Yeah, I've been reading about loaches, and so I'm planning on getting 3-4 if I get them (if my tank can handle that, I'd like to get a good number of whatever I get). I started reading about loaches, and they just seem like a fish that would provide some action in my tank. They seem like very interesting fish. So I'm just looking for the right one :)

So a dojo loach wouldn't get too big for my aquarium? Do they like to be kept in pairs or more like the other kinds? I'm questioning whether or not 1 could fit, so I really doubt 2 would, but I could be wrong. Like I said, I have a big of a problem envisioning bigger fish since I've kept the fish I have now for so long. Would I be better off just going with a group of yoyos? Having a group of 6 of them does sound really cool... Also I've read that dojo loaches like colder water, 76 degrees maximum. I guess I could lower the temperature a bit, I have it around 78 right now.

EDIT: I thought I had posted this, but I guess I didn't. I know loaches like to have places to hide, caves and tunnels things. I have some caves, but not a whole lot. So I was thinking if I got some, I'd need to add some "decorations" I was wondering if I could just get some PVC pipe and glue (with aquarium glue) some rocks on it that match what I have in there so it looks more "natural". I'm trying to look for something relatively cheap and easy. Some tank decorations seem to get very expensive.

I have three in my 55. They defintly appreciate each others company. I hardly ever see them off by themselves.

OTOH, I also have a pack of 6 yoyos in a 20g right now, and they are awesome fish too. Once they finish their sinking food, they swim upside down at the surface eating the flake food that the rams usually leave behind. They are actually doing that right now, looking for more bloodworms (they just got fed)

If you have concerns about the dojos, then get the yoyos instead. THat always works best for me. If I have a second thought about a fish, I don't get it, until I am 100% positive I want it, and can house it properly.

the largest yoyo i have seen was 4". Mine are still only 2, and still growing, so I have no idea how big they will get. Right now, they are fine in a 20g tall. I may need to upgrade them when they get bigger.

If you have a 55g long, I'll bet it is 4ft.

hsherman1986 said:
the largest yoyo i have seen was 4". Mine are still only 2, and still growing, so I have no idea how big they will get. Right now, they are fine in a 20g tall. I may need to upgrade them when they get bigger.

If you have a 55g long, I'll bet it is 4ft.

I actually just got out a ruler and measured it. It is that big. 8O I knew it was big, but wow. I love having a big tank though :) I'm even more obsessed with the fish than I was before. I can't imagine having a 120 gallon or larger...

I have a 110 freshwater and with a python it really isn't that big of a deal. I think it's actually harder having a small tank, lol. How do you get around in there? :D

Back
Top Bottom