55g water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okiefromwatonga

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, so I have a 55g tank with the following fish. 6 Tuxedo Neons (1"), 4 Zebra Danios (1), 4 emerald corys (3/4"), 3 Otocinclus (3/4"), 1 Albino Pleco (2.5") and 2 Kuhlii Loach (approx. 3") about 10 3-4" plants. My aquarium has been established for well over 3 years but I am wondering what my water should be at as I have never really done much other than a once a month 50% water change. According to the API test strips my specs are as follows
GH - 180ppm max reading
KH - 240ppm again max reading
PH - 9.0
NO2 - .5ppm
NO3 - 200ppm max reading
where should I go from here?

Hello Okie...

I've never worried about the water chemistry in my tanks. I remove and replace half the water in them every 2 weeks and my fish and plants seem fine with this routine. With the exception of the rare species of fish, most will adapt to most public tap water supplies. As long as you use a treatment that removes the chlorine and chloramine and change the tank water a little more frequently and tend to the filtration system when you do the water changes, the fish and plants should be fine.

B

Back
Top Bottom