6.6 Restock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishinfreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, so I know ive had sevral threads in the past few months of tanks id likd to start, but ive decided to wait unfil next year after my family moves to start up a 55-75, and for now will make my 6.6g long a nice nano tank. My current stocking idea is as following : 2 Scarlet Badis, 5 dwarf cories or red rosy loaches, and 10-12 of a green/blue dwarf rasbora (i think the sci name is something like sundanio axelrodi, but it may be off by quite a bit) . I also will have 1-2 types of easy shrimp that wouldnt interbreed with each other (rcs, crs, blue pearls, a diff variety of neos). It will be dirted and planted with low-med light.

First, how does this stocking sound? I know i would lose some shrimplets, but im ok with that. Other nano fish reccomendations are welcomed too. Also, what do you guys feed your nano fish? Would i be able to ween them onto a diet of something that can go into an autofeeder for my family is on vacations?
Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ooh I love nanos! This is my favourite kind of thread lol so on your stocking. Footprint of the tank would help but I can tell you that most tanks that small are not good for cories. You could maybe do pygmies but I would personally take the rosy loaches :) scarlet badis are gorgeous fish and I always recomend them. You could do 2 maybe 3 males and a handful of females (if you can find them). I am not sure about those rasbora. If it is the blue guys with stripes then you should have floating plants. There are alot of options for schooling fish if you want something different. Keep in mind these little tiny fish are very shy and most do better in larger groups.
The shrimp are awesome. I have neos. You may struggle with crs in with neos since they like different water params.
You are going to want to feed small frozen food for your badis. They rarely eat anything that isnt moving in the water column. I cant remember what I have but it has to break into tiny bits. Do NOT use prawn eggs. The size is perfect but the salt can be harmful. Killed my cories with it I believe.
Any other questions just ask!

P. S. If you are wanting other nano options any of the below list would work in that tank
Chilli rasbora, celestial pearl danios, amber tetras, sparkling gourami, FW bumble bee goby

Thanks!
To answer your questions, the dimensions are 24"x7"x9"h. And the little schoolers are http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/sundadanio-axelrodi/ (dont think that is a direct link, but im doing this from my phone) for live foods, would glass or black worms work (my lfs has these) i would also be willing to attempt raising brine shrimp or daphina. Also, woukd i have to direct food towards the rosies? Like shrimp pellets

Oh those guys! Never mind then I think they will be fine! I dont think worms would do to hot and brine shrimp need salt water which would get into your tank. Live food shouldnt be required. Frozen would work fine just thaw and mix with some water and squirt into the water with a suringe. I dont know much about rosies so Im not sure but with most loaches you dont have to so Id say your good :)

For the frozens, are brine shrimp and bloodworms good? Any others?

No bloodworms or brine shrimp. Bloodworms cause obesity in badis and brine shrimp are to salty. I think daphnia are ok.

Rosy Loaches eat like piglets but mine really enjoy Repashy gel food and New Era Plec Pellets. The NE Plec Pellets are soft and kind of big so I flatten them out some and tear it in half. In that small of a tank I would add a lot of food. I have 2 species of Aspidoras (15 total), along with 18 Rosy and 8 Mulit striped Pygmy Loaches. They get 1 flatten NE pellet most days and the other nano fish grab any floating bits that they can. I have them in a 55g tank and only feed 1 pellet so you don't want to overfeed, especially sinking foods.

Rivercats, are there any other foods youd reccomend for nano fish? The repashy gel maybe, or does that sink more?

Repashy gels sink but you can rub just a touch of it between your fingers and then swish in the water. Mid and top feeders enjoy grapping the micro pieces but be sure to only do a very tiny bit.

I also use some of the flake foods from AngelsPlus. My nano's aren't fond of the Beef Heart flakes but love the Blackworm flakes. But any high quality flake food works. Trick is to put a little bit in the palm of your hand and then crush it into very tiny crumbs. I sprinkle a little on the water surface and then swish the rest into the water so it floats around. I also give one of the foods I mentioned above due to having so many bottom feeders.

Back
Top Bottom