6 weeks in, still using Zeo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am running an AC70 with 1 foam, 1 ammonia remover insert, and 2 bioMax.
I removed the Activated carbon because of my plants and the idea that the BioMax lasts longer and is more beneficial to the environment. I have just put in the second bioMax bag and plan to allow both to sit for a while and only replace as need be.
My question is how long should I run the Zeo Carb? I changed the bag of Zeo within the last week per the once a month recommendation on the box. I have a 29G with 9 fish, a couple of which are new borns.

Last edited:
You don't really need to put in a second bag of bioMax. Your first bag and the sponge can house all the aerobic bacteria that you need. A second bag would be good for seeding other tanks though.

Take out some of the Zeo Carb every few days until its gone. The Zeo Carb soaks up ammonia, so slowly removing it helps build up more aerobic bacteria on the sponge and bioMax. Or you could take it all out and do water changes when indicated by ammonia or nitrite readings. You will eventually get enough of these beneficial bacteria with this method as well.

Thanks, the Zeo is in a "convenient" insert package so I will have to resort to the latter method. I currently don't have testing for them parameters :X however the api freshwater master test kit is on order from amazon. See what kinda parameters I have soon.
Thats a good idea, perhaps some my buddies will want to start up tanks and I can let them have a bag of bioMax to help them out.

also will keep the zeo carb in until the testing kit comes in.

New question: Is there any thing wrong with keeping the Zeo Carb in permanently?

It really doesn't serve a purpose in a cycled tank, but it's not going to hurt anything. Like carbon it has a very limited life in aquaria, so it's just one of those things that are good for emergency situations. I have even used some in my holding tank (aka igloo cooler) when I go fish collecting for an extended period of time.

Do note that zeolite is 'recharged' by soaking in a salt water solution, so if you ever add salt to the tank with the zeolite in it, you'll likely have an ammonia spike.

jetajockey;1867867 Do note that zeolite is 'recharged' by soaking in a salt water solution said:
I had read that this was able to be done: recharging the zeolite, what exactly does that mean?

I don't know the exact chemistry behind it, but salted water basically makes it release the ammonia bound in it so that it is 'refreshed'. Seachem purigen works in a similar with except with bleach.

interesting.
I have read raving reviews for the purigen, not sure what it is though.
I would like to keep my tank as simple as possible with only necessary components in the filter, my ideal is 1 foam and some bioMax. MAYBE 2 foam and bioMax, the bioMax I have found that I like are the Fluval Rings, they are HUGE compared to the AC bioMax!

Last edited:
Purigen helps keep the water cleaner in between water changes. Its not needed, but your fish generally like cleaner water.

Back
Top Bottom