75 gallon cichlid tank : fishless cycle HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masonv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am on day 5 of my fishless cycle on my 75 gallon tank. Here are what it all has and what the water measurements were and are:
Equipment
* (1) 250w visi-therm heater
* (2) maxi-jet 600 powerhead (setup as circulation pumps)
* (2) penguin bio-wheel 350's
Decor & What not!
* substrate : pool filter sand
* rocks : field rocks (from minnesota fields)(bleached then soaked with clean water for a day "soaked a couple of time with clean water, last time with Prime"
* plants : 3 fake cheap ones to add a little green to the take
Water measurements
* ph : 8.0 from tap (8.2 after 24 hour gas release)
* kh : 15 (275ppm)
* gh : 8 (143ppm)

Here is my day to day readings ( my questions are coming soon)
Day 1 : ph; kh; & gh(all as listed above), water temp @ 85 , (added special blend), added filter over do for change & substrate in nylons from 29 gallon(well established) community tank(each put in new filters), add ammonia up to 4ppm
Day 2 : ammonia @ 4ppm, nitrite @?, ph @/
Day 3 : (here is where it get interesting) ammonia @ .5ppm, nitrite @ 3ppm, ph @ 8.5-8.6, dosed ammonia back up to 4ppm
Day 4 : ammonia @ 0ppm, nitrite @ 5(as high as my master kit reads), ph @ 8.5-8.6, dosed ammonia back up to 4ppm
Day 5 : ammonia @ 0ppm, nitrite @ 5?+, ph 8.5-8.6, I did a wc of 25-30%, I did not does anymore ammonia(will does on day 6 to 2ppm)

Here are my questions:
1 : Why did my ph spike up so crazy
2 : My daughters 10 gallon tank did the same crazy ph jump as well and test high for ammonia. My gf couldn't wait to put fish in even thou I told her it wasn't in the best interest of the fish sense the tank is new and now cycled. The water in the 10 gallon was mix tap/ro water to a ph of 7.5 . I understand a high kh will bring it up a little but 8.8 is crazy

What is causing the PH spikes in my tanks. I thought the same thing might have happend in my 29 gallon but I think I just mixed the water poorly in that tank. I was using test strips when I was mixing water for my 29 and 10 gallon tanks. My 29 also jump up to about 8.2 but the fish seem fine and very active. 29 tested fine for ammonia and nitrites. I did a 5 gallon water change on my 29 adding all ro water back in to help the matter out.

Does anyone know what might be going on in my crazy world? Is it the ammonia that caused a ph spike like I have seen or is it something else?

PLEASE HELP ME.

Back
Top Bottom