85 Gal. Acrylic tank Build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay guys, i did it.
I built My 85 gallon tank. Not becuase i really needed it, Becuase i have all the taks i need right now. But just for the experience. I would post Pictures but someone stole my camera out of my desk at work. But anyways. The tank came out okay but i had a couple of spots they were touched by the acrylic cement and made the acrylic unclear. What happend is that the glue ran through the seem and then ran up the tape. but its really not that noticeable. I will buff it out and it should look alot better. But it really isnt hard at all. I was so scared to mess up and ruin this acrylic but its really simple.

Hope you can recover your camera as I really want to see the pics and hear more about the build. What was the dimensions of the tank and what thickness acrylic did you use? Did you have someone cut it to size for you or did you do that yourself. If yourself what blade did you use?

I had a friend cut the acrylic for me. He works for Ace Hardware.
I called Tap Plastics out of sacramento and asked them What thickness i should use for a tank that will be 64 inches long, 20 inches wide, and 20 inches high. (85 gallons) He told me 1/4 inch thick is sufficient. But i did have to straighten the edges of the acrylic myself. I used a acrylic scoring knife from Ace Hardware. The only thing i had to do is cut two Square holes out of the top so i can feed the fish. and i drilled two 1.5 inch holes in the back on each corner on the top for my intake and return line for my canister filter. And i drilled one 1/4 inch hole for my heater cord to pass through and plug it into the wall. i could have eliminated the third hole by just geting a inline heater but i thought of that after the fact.....
but it came out great i filled it earlier today to the max. If its still in one piece and my garage isnt flooded then all i have to do is build the stand (which i already have the wood for, Maple.) So in the morning if its still full and doesnt leak or burst then its good to go...... Any other questions just ask. Oh and BTW i bought a lock for my desk at work.....

Back
Top Bottom