A little help with ro filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidward

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just paid $50 for this unit the guy said he used it for about 2 months and thats it . I believe it's a coralife ro filter ? My question is how do I know when I need to change out the filters?

Attachments

• image-3084070815.jpg
    image-3084070815.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 62
Since you have clear filter housings, the 1st cartridge is the sediment filter and it's white when new. When it turns brown it's time to change it. They are usually good for about 6 months, depending on the water quality going in and how much water is processed.
You can test the output water with a TDS meter to check if the RO membrane is good when you have new sediment and carbon block filters in place. They are usually good for about 2 yrs depending on how much water is processed and the quality of the water going in.

ccCapt said:
Since you have clear filter housings, the 1st cartridge is the sediment filter and it's white when new. When it turns brown it's time to change it. They are usually good for about 6 months, depending on the water quality going in and how much water is processed.
You can test the output water with a TDS meter to check if the RO membrane is good when you have new sediment and carbon block filters in place. They are usually good for about 2 yrs depending on how much water is processed and the quality of the water going in.

Ok so the sediment filter would be the one one the left which would be bad ?

Not necessarily bad if brown. My gets brown after 2 months or so and I change every 6 months. It should read 0ppm. Although RO only can have a reading of some ppm since only takes out percentage of supply water. Get a in-line tds meter. Check out "the filter guys". Might not be a bad idea to add a DI canister. DI will always give you 0ppm. Best for aquariums.

Not necessarily bad if brown. My gets brown after 2 months or so and I change every 6 months. It should read 0ppm. Although RO only can have a reading of some ppm since only takes out percentage of supply water. Get a in-line tds meter. Check out "the filter guys". Might not be a bad idea to add a DI canister. DI will always give you 0ppm. Best for aquariums.

yea i was thinking of getting one soon .by any chance could anyone tell the brand by looking at it ? thanks for the help !

yea i was thinking of getting one soon .by any chance could anyone tell the brand by looking at it ? thanks for the help !

The brand of the RO unit? I think the cartriges are pretty much universal from what I've gathered. I just got an RODI unit myself and haven't needed to change anything yet.

Back
Top Bottom