A pleasant surprise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batt4Christ

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Long story - I'll try to keep it short:

I posted well over a year ago about spending a fortune on angelfish, and trying to introduce more (eventually in my 55gallon tank). In the interim, the one that was such problem was finally put in his place by a pair of fully-grown angels (both male as well) - and all three eventually learned to "get along" in my 55g.

We had been raising a 4th angel in the smaller 29g tank that is usually WAY over-grown with plants.

Another fast-forward - to June - when we moved about 70 miles. For a couple of months, we lived with my Father until we could close on our house. The tanks made the move, and adapted to the different water conditions ok. We got moved into our new house - BUT it took over a month to be able to get the manpower together to move the tanks to our new home. I discovered that my father who had been the "fish-sitter", had been so EXTREMELY over-feeding both tanks, I am surprised their house didn't smell like a sewer! He went through about 10X the amount of food I would have fed in the same time period! Plants had grown so thick that neither tank allowed swimming room for ANY of the fish, big or small. So I WAY thinned out plants, drained all water, bagged fish, and got them all moved in at the new house. In the process - losing ALL of my rummy-nose tetras :(

Completing the move, we decided to place angel #4 in the 55g with the other three angels. Though it is only about 80% of the size of the other three, it was healthy and active. All along, we have been fairly certain that this #4 was a male.

Move forward a few weeks - and all the angels were acting strange - facing off, locking mouths, swimming circles around each other... indeed, a little "damage", but nothing serious. Then calm...

We woke up yesterday morning (Sunday) and here is what we find in the tank:

jqktpy.jpg

zukvgx.jpg

"Baby" is the gold calico in this picture. Apparently "Baby" is a girl!!!

Of course - the question begs... "who's the daddy"??? LOL I'm fairly confident it isn't the solid gold angel in the tank - as he is kept run to the other end by the other three angelfish... I almost wonder if "Stripe" and our big Calico both think they are the "daddy" - as they both seem to almost be "helping" Baby to guard the fry....

11qhlvq.jpg

I was almost in a panic Sunday morning - I kept seeing the angels "eating" the fry... Over and over. So I netted a bunch to put in the smaller tank...

But when we got home from church, I watched more closely and saw the babies swimming OUT of the mouths of all three of the angels that are "guarding" them... And it seems that the cloud of fry has not shrunk since yesterday afternoon...

Haha what a great surprise indeed! Keep us updated on the journey on raising them!

Back
Top Bottom