Acrylic aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

see_shane_ay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I snagged a 125 gallon acrylic tank, and cabinet for 100 bucks a few weeks ago. The acrylic is really scuffed up, inside and outside. I was wondering after I am done sanding and buffing it, what is a good way to flush out all the chemicals I used during the restoration period. Any advice is appreciated!!

Shane.

white vinegar or bleach! Neither will leave a residue and both can be neutralized with water.

white vinegar or bleach! Neither will leave a residue and both can be neutralized with water.

So, regardless of the chemicals I use, I can just fill the tank of with vinegar or bleach, let it sit for a day I'm assuming(?), then empty it out and I'm good to go?

I havent used any chemicals yet. I won't be the one doing the cleaning on it. I'm hiring a guy that works at an auto shop to do this, and I'm sure he's going to be using chemicals. Not sure exactly what, but I need to know how to flush out these chemicals, know what I mean jelly bean?

You'll want to find out what he's using, mechanics use whatever will do the job and you want to make sure that he's not using anything that will leave a film or residue in the tank.

Some chemicals will be able to be completely removed. I would do more research on how to polish the aquarium.

Removing scratches from an acrylic aquarium - YouTube, here's a good reference I just found. there are a ton videos out there. Most of them share this process and materials. Once I catch up on a couple of other projects I will take on this task as well. Do you have any Pics? Sounds like a heck of a snag.

Attachments

• IMG611.jpg
    IMG611.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 64
  • sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom