Acrylic/oceanography expert, aquarium novice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kataobbe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all-

My day job is building different acrylic tanks for oceanography experiments. I'm currently working on a project studying the survival/behavior of Dungeness Crab larvae in pH / O2 / temperature gradients if anyone's curious about behind the scenes of oceanographic science (hint: gaff tape is my savior. All hail gaff tape.)

So while I've built tons of tanks for experiments & cultured Artemia/copepods in the lab, I've never tried a personal aquarium until last year. Fall 2016 I got a glass 10 gallon tank and managed to get some nice plants established. I had it stocked with 2 1.5" catfish and a 3" goldfish.

As of January 2017 that tank sadly broke during the moving process, but the fish lived! I speed bought & set up a new 10g glass tank for them and am attempting to fish-in cycle the tank without losing my catfish. The goldfish is tough, and fat, so I'm not really worried about him.

So nice to meet you all! If you have questions about building tanks from scratch, oceanography, or anything similar feel free to ping me. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions coming up about tank cycling & establishing new plants to replace my old.

Hi all-

My day job is building different acrylic tanks for oceanography experiments. I'm currently working on a project studying the survival/behavior of Dungeness Crab larvae in pH / O2 / temperature gradients if anyone's curious about behind the scenes of oceanographic science (hint: gaff tape is my savior. All hail gaff tape.)

So while I've built tons of tanks for experiments & cultured Artemia/copepods in the lab, I've never tried a personal aquarium until last year. Fall 2016 I got a glass 10 gallon tank and managed to get some nice plants established. I had it stocked with 2 1.5" catfish and a 3" goldfish.

As of January 2017 that tank sadly broke during the moving process, but the fish lived! I speed bought & set up a new 10g glass tank for them and am attempting to fish-in cycle the tank without losing my catfish. The goldfish is tough, and fat, so I'm not really worried about him.

So nice to meet you all! If you have questions about building tanks from scratch, oceanography, or anything similar feel free to ping me. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions coming up about tank cycling & establishing new plants to replace my old.
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have another experienced aquarist among us all!

Back
Top Bottom