Added coral, tank now has unbearable odor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhuth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I picked up an awesome variety of coral frags and some live rock from a friend. I noticed that the container had a slight odor. Once I added everything to my reef tank, my tank has since taken on a horrible odor to the point where the room is uninhabitable. Is there anything I can do other than a water change and changing the filter cartridge? Neither has helped and its getting worse.

thanks!
Rob

Can you tell us more about the tank? The only time I've ever had a slight odor, or heard about odor in a tank, is from the high ammonia levels you see during cycling.

It was a FOWLR that I had been waiting to add coral to. Absolutely no odor until yesterday when I added the coral frags. I have two clowns and a coral beauty, it is a 30 gallon tank. I am wondering if the corals could be secreting the odor as a result of stress/defense mechanism? Or if something could be dead. It is a mixture of soft and hard corals.

I've never had a living coral smell. A dead coral shipped to me did give off quite an odor. Can you tell us what the corals look like, or even take a picture?

Acropora have a distinct smell out of the water but that's really the only one that does I've noticed. It isn't really a bad odor either. The coral is not what is making your tank smell.

Nitrites were a tad high so I just did another 25% water change. If it isn't the coral then what could it be?

You said you got some live rock? Was it out of the water at all? Something could have died inside of it

Nitrites or Nitrates? If its nitrites you're tank is cycling. Depending on the size of the liverock it may of caused a mini cycle.

Nitrites were high so perhaps a small cycle is ocurring. I did a 25% water change and am now waiting on the odor. I think the soft-corals are releasing a mucus that I noticed when moving them into the tank that is causing the odor. Does anyone know how to get rid of the odor? I have a carbon filter and am obviously not moving the corals any longer. Also, could this mucous harm the fish?

It is loaded with bacteria, but shouldn't harm the fish. It is a defense mechanism that can cause problems for some types of corals, so filtering it out ASAP is a good idea. Protein skimmers will also grab that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom