Added MH, DIY Canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here are pics of the canopy I built last week for my new (used) MH lights. I didnt' do any step-by-step photos, once I knew my MH lights were on the way, I was in a hurry to get the canopy done.

I spent about $60 on wood, paint, screws, a piano hinge, sand paper, the front handle. Could have gotten it done a lot cheaper with less expensive plywood, but I *was* planning on staining the canopy to match the tank, but later I decided to just paint it a dark brown. I bought roof flashing to craft some quick and dirty reflectors. $5. MH lighting off eBay - $118. Total cost of canopy with 2x175W MH - just under $200. The bulbs are a little old, but I'll consider that a maintenance cost

Home Depot did almost all the cuts. That was a mistake. Most of the dimensions were off by at least 1/4".

I'm NOT a wood worker, nor a craftsman of any sorts, and I don't have a table saw or anything like it. I wanted straight edges, and figured they could do better than I.

There's another coat of paint coming, whats on there now is just primer/sealer. I also need to route some of the wires a little better. I was anxious to get it on, so I'll take it down some night after lights out to add the final coat of paint.

I ended up using 3/8" ply, framed with 2"x2" pine.

I used to have a glass top over the tank, which I know wasn't good. With just a single 4" cooling fan in the canopy, the temperature has actually DROPPED a degree with the canopy on (and with the MH lights on). I have another cooling fan in there, in the middle, which isn't even on, so I should be able to handle warmer days easily. Plus there's a hole cut for a 3rd cooling fan, in case I need it.

So far I've only had to use one of the two fans, and I actually had to add a heater to the sump - the MH and canopy are much cooler than a glass top and PC lights over it.

I was able to gut my previous primary light, a Jebo 48" 4x65 CF fixture. It was extremely easy to re-wire a pair of lights to run, so I mounted that in the front inside of the canopy, adding 65w of actinic 03.

I replaced one of the MH bulbs with a new 14K - its too violet for my tastes, I'll probably stick with 10K.

Next up I want to find a 5V transformer to get the moonlights from the Jebo fixture in there.

dsc01065.jpg

dsc01066.jpg

dsc01067.jpg

dsc01070.jpg

Back
Top Bottom