Adding more fish, worried !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlpfab4fan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I just found this site and joined today. Thank you for having me. I've really enjoyed reading these articles and forums.

My girlfriend recently moved in with me and she wants to move her fish into my tank instead of us having two tanks. She has 5 Scissortail Rasboras, 5 Rosy Barbs, and 3 Golden Sailfin Mollies in a 75 G. tank.

I have a 125 G. tank with lots of driftwood, rocks, and plants, ( only Java Fern as they don't get eaten up). It has been running as currently stocked for almost 2 years. I do a 25 gallon water change once a week. I'm using 2 Aquaclear 110 HOB's with pre-filter sponges, and 2 HydroSponge #5 internal filters. It is most certainly a "skittles" tank, and I love it. I have 21 fish. Stock is: 1 Male Firemouth Cichlid, 1 Platinum Angelfish, 1 Gold Gourami, 2 Blue Gularis Killifish, 3 Pictus Catfish, 3 Polka Dot Loaches, 1 Rubbernose Plecostomus, 1 Rainbow Shark, 1 Whiptail Suckercat, 1 Striped Anostomus, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, and 5 Silver Dollars. All my fish are 3"- 4" long.

What do you think ? Add those 13 new fish or have 2 aquariums ?

Welcome to AA.
You should be fine adding your girlfriend's fish into your 125. I have a very similar setup, a 120 long, with 2 AC 110's. Stock list of 5x-Firemouth, 1x-Texas Cichlid, 1x-Flowerhorn, 11-Buenos Aires Tetras, 4x-Diamond Tetras, 3x-Silver Dollars, 2x-BN Plecos, 3x-Berdmorei Tiger Loaches.
The water parameters always stay good. I change out 50% - 60% of the water every week.

I wouldn't... Usually stocking a tank goes by the size of the fish in adult size (1"per gallon) so go from there. I figured this.. If all your fish are, let's say 3" ×21 fish that's 147 gallons already. You are over stocked. And you have rock, plants and so on. Now, plus all on hers are about 6"@ adult size. 6"×10 fish + 3 Molly's, (think about 1-2") we'll say 2" (sailfin) so about 66 gallons. And not adding all deco in the tank. That would set y'all @ 213gallons. This is why I'd say No,No. Lol! Say sorry hun, no can do. Unless you wanta bigger tank. Or rehome some fish to a friend of pet store, or sell.? hope this helps understand overstock. Good luck.

Hello ml...

Before you add the fish, make sure they'll get along with yours. Compatibility is extremely important when you add fish. I'm guessing you're familiar with the process of bagging the new fish and floating the bag in the water for 30 minutes and slowly adding the water from your tank to the bag. Make sure that no water from the first tank gets into yours. Always transfer the fish to a bucket, so you can net them and put them into their new tank. I prefer to turn the tank lights off during this process.

One more thing, 25 gallons isn't near enough of a water change for a 125. Work up to 60 to 70 gallons at least every two weeks. This is better. Especially, if you plan to add fish.

B

The OP has a 6' ft. Tank, running two top of the line hob power filters with a combined rating
Of 220 gals. With an additional two sponges attached to the intake tube, and two seperate internal sponge filters, further expanding filtration capabilities. The OP also noted his tank is hardscaped with ample amounts of driftwood and rocks. Components that add quality surface area condusive to the growth of "In tank" BB. Another expansion of filtration.
Depending on the density of the Java Fern, another aid to water quality.
The one inch per gallon stocking rule is not a reliable guide line, considering the advanced filtration technology available.
The potential listed new tankmates are small to relatively small fish and are not big waste makers. The majority of the Op' s current stock are grown or nearly full grown.
Even with the potential additions, the Op' s 6' tank will still be roomy enough for normal schooling behavior and territorial requirements for the proposed population.

Sorry BB, I was responding to Angel's reply.
I totally agree with your above listed advice.

I'm just say'n I wouldn't. It's not just about the waste and how well the filters are. It's the room for the fish, they want space too, imo. And Yes, of course it can be done. Not saying it can't. A question was asked "what do you think?" Just say'n what I think. I still wouldn't. Just my oppinion.

Angel, I always enjoy reading your threads & posts, and respect your point of view.:)

Angel, I always enjoy reading your threads & posts, and respect your point of view.:)
;) same here V227. Never a disrespect to you or anyone on this form just because I don't agree with some things. Just my point of view like everyone else's. This is A.A. Lol!

Despite being a newbie to the forum I agree and disagree with this rule, as different fish add different amounts of ammonia to the water which is one of the main concerns is overstocking. Not to mention territorial space, he really only has one fish that will establish a very secure territorial area and the addition of the 13 fish in my opinion would not be an overload to his filters considering the amount of them in the tank. Of course this is really only my relatively amateur opinion, as mentioned I am a newbie and have only had two tanks so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Along with this though, who doesn't want to have two aquariums???

Back
Top Bottom