Adding sand over gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

push350z

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I figure my cories will enjoy sand more than my current rock so my question is can I just add sand over the gravel substrate? Right now I have about 35 pounds of gravel, I was thinking about pushing some of it back toward the back and adding the gravel substrate to more of the front of the tank where the cories spend most of their time. I think the white gravel/black sand could look cool too. Opinions? I have a 46 gallon bow-front.

IMO, I would remove the gravel and go with the sand. Only because it will mix all together and may make it more difficult to clean. I have never thought about doing this so I am interested in other peoples opinions.

I thought about that initially but as I watch the cories scavenge and the other fish going after the cory food, I don't know that them pushing around the gravel would be a problem. The current is also such that it's not strong enough to aid them in moving any rocks around. If I had larger fish then I think this may be something I would need to take into account, but as it stands right now with me wanting to stock with a variety of smaller fish I think the exchange should be minimal between substrates.

i have sand on one side and gravel on the other in one of my tanks. it does mix a bit, but you can still definately see one side is sand and the other is gravel. looks nice.

I think I'd just replace it. The cories would like a tank full of sand. If you put sand on top of the gravel, it will eventually mix. Also, you won't be able to do deep gravel vacs with the sand on top and there is a chance that the gravel will hold all the mulm and nasties and create anaerobic pockets which could be deadly to your fish. I'd just replace it and save myself the worry.

I'd just replace it. Mix black and white sand to acheive the peppered look. That's what I do and it also hides fish waste for smaller fish. Eventually the sand will work it's way down to the bottom and the gravel wil be sitting on top.

Alright I guess I will just replace it all, now here's the question. I just cycled my tank with bio-spira and I'm reading 5ppm nitrate and 0 ammonia and nitrite would it be safe to replace all the gravel since it's such a young tank? My concern is that not enough bacteria has built up on the filter media and bio-wheels to swap out the substrate now and it may go into another cycle. Should this be something I worry about? I could run the tank longer but I only have 4 fish in there now and I doubt with such a small bio-load there will be enough ammonia to cause the nitrates to build up any more. I wish I wouldn't have gotten the gravel to begin with but I didn't think I would ever get cories or any other sort of bottom scavenger so I didn't think much of it at the time, now I love my cories and want to make them happy haha.

Well I think that most of your beneficial bacteria is on the filter media. However if it is a young tank, you may want to change half out and then wait two weeks and do the other half.

I did mine all at once on my old tank that was only 1 month old. I did not have a mini-cycle but the half and half plan is probably your safest bet.

Well I switched out the substrate today with PFS and I like the look of it SOO much more, and the cory I have likes it a lot more too :) Time to go get him some pals, he's awful lonely in there.

Awesome, do you knw you are suppose to keep the sand moving every now and then? I think MTS snails are really good. If you can get some at the LFS just post that you need some in Barter.

OR, every couple of weeks move the sand manually with something.

Have fun with the sand, I love mine

Nope, didn't know I was supposed to move it around, you know the reasoning for that? Although my cory loves to throw it around lol

Since sand is smaller grain than gravel, it compacts more easily and can form anaerobic pockets (bad bacteria) that could be deadly to your fish. If you move it around with your fingers to get some malaysian trumpet snails (which burrow in the sand) you shouldn't have any compacting.

Yes, howver I would highly recommend MTS snails. They are the only snail I like. I promise if you post that you need some somebody on AA will most likely send you some. I actually enjoy mine.

If you have that much trouble finding some, PM me and I will see what I can do for you.

Back
Top Bottom