Advice for a Newb Starting Out :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flypelican

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had the itch to get into saltwater for a few years now, after closing on our first place a couple months ago (and a nice rebate check from you taxpayers) I'm ready to dive in. Read most of the recommending reading out there then discovered these online forums.

First off I wanted to thank the forum community for so much great advice, extremely helpful.

Was looking for something used, but nothing really caught my eye locally on EBay or CL.

The room where I'd like to place the tank would be nice for one of the 92G corner tanks. Something like this 92G Corner from Aqueon.
AG Tanks w/overflows

But I'd have room for a slightly larger rectangular as well. This standard 125G rectangular seems like a decent deal from a local shop $780 for a package.
ALL-GLASS 125 gallon black SET UP. PRE-DRILLED AQUARIUM - eBay (item 230328088687 end time Mar-23-10 16:17:37 PDT)

#1) Does anybody have any advice about corner tanks? For me the pros would be fit in the room. Only cons I can really think of would be finding a lighting fixture that fits well.

Stocking Tips

My next big dilemma... ;) is stocking. I've always loved the reef tanks I see out there and like the small critters/inverts/corals mixed with some little fishes.

On the other hand, my girlfriend and I are both big fans of Picasso Triggers. She's also a big Dogface Puffer fan.

Lately I've been leaning towards FOWLR.
Pros: Easier for beginners
Less Expensive Lighting
Picasso Triggerfish
Cons: No corals/critters

#2) If I go with a 75-90-125G FOWLR tank the only filtration I really need is 1.5-2lbs base/live rock and a protein skimmer? I'd still to include some type of under tank sump/fuge to hide the plumbing and any other equipment.

#3) Would probably start out with the Picasso Trigger because he's our favorite and a good fish for beginners from what I read. From what I've read they seem compatible with the Dogface Puffer the GF loves so much and I'd like to add one after.
But after that I'm not sure. I just don't know what else we could eventually put in with them. With a reef your choices are endless with all the corals and inverts, but it seems with Triggers you really limit what you can keep together.
Snowflake eel?
Clowns?
Gobies?
Blennies?

I know this is more than an art than a science but besides the article on this site and the chart on LiveAquaria.com I can't find too much great reference material.

One thing with FOWLR is you won't really need to worry about expensive lighting solutions. You could get by fine with regular fluorescent lights.

#1) Does anybody have any advice about corner tanks? For me the pros would be fit in the room. Only cons I can really think of would be finding a lighting fixture that fits well.

swimming room.... if you want fish that need the room (i.e. tangs), you're much better off with a 6' tank. Also, the longer tank gives you more options for most everything, especially if you go reef

Thanks, good suggestion about the swimming room. I'll have to take a look at the room again and see if 6' would work. If doable I'll go with the 125G rectangular if not I may forget the corner tank and go with the 4' 75G rectangular.

Any opinions on what I could keep with the Trigger & Puffer? Tank seems like it'd be a little empty with just a couple fish and some rocks

Back
Top Bottom