Advice on Oscar tank size, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would raw shrimp with the shell & tail work? (The kind sold in grocery stores). Would any raw defrosted fish be ok?

I do not understand why a fish food manufacturer can’t make pellets that contain the sufficient roughage, proteins etc.:thanks:

Would raw shrimp with the shell & tail work? (The kind sold in grocery stores). Would any raw defrosted fish be ok?

I do not understand why a fish food manufacturer can’t make pellets that contain the sufficient roughage, proteins etc.:thanks:

You should be able to get frozen prawn or Krill at your local pet shop. This is silversides, also at your LFS.... https://oceannutrition.com/frozen-foods/frozen-single-items/silversides/
I believe you can get Krill freeze dried but I like wet foods over dry because dry foods can be a cause of constipation.

Silversides is a common name used for any small schooling bait fish with silver or white sides on their body. In Australia they are regularly sold under the name of white bait, blue sardines and mulies. You can buy them from the bait freezer at any fishing shop and keep them frozen. When you want to feed the fish, defrost a couple and offer one at a time. If the bait is too big for the fish, cut it down to size.

You can buy frozen prawns/ shrimp from fishing stores too and these are dealt with in the same way as white bait. If you use raw prawn, the fish can normally digest the shell. If you use cooked prawn, remove the head and shell because the fish can't digest it properly.

If a fish is used to live foods, it might take a few weeks to accept dead foods. However, since the Oscar is being fed a variety of dry and live foods, it should take frozen (but defrosted) foods without any issues.

--------------

Oscars are predators and any plant matter they get is normally in the digestive tract of the fish they eat. White bait, blue sardines, etc are intact fish and have a full digestive system with food in from when they were caught.

If you feed the fish on fillets and don't use whole fish, then you can mush up some veges and mix them with the meat foods.

--------------

As for manufacturers making food for fish, they make a product that starving fish will eat because there is nothing else to eat. I must point out that not all fish food companies make crap food but a lot do.

Most dry fish foods contain flour (wheat and or soy flour). This is used as a binder and a filler to make the food more bulky but reduce the cost. Fish can't digest grains so any fish food with grains or flour made from grains isn't the best.

Fish foods can be made with whole fish or fish meal. Whole fish is the entire fish (head, guts, flesh, everything). Fish meal usually consists of scale, skin and bones. So read the directions carefully because a lot of companies use fish meal and wheat flour to save costs, and if you have fish food with these ingredients, you aren't giving your fish good food.

In addition to the above, some companies add things that appeal to humans. You might see vitamin a, b, c, d, etc, on fish food. Most of these are water soluble and also break down very quickly under damp or warm conditions, and are virtually useless in dry fish food. You might see ingredients like rosemary, garlic, etc. Again, people think they are herbs and good for me, but fish can't digest them. If the food has algae in, that is a suitable food for them. So check the ingredients carefully because most dry commercial fish foods sold in shops aren't the best for your fish.

If you want a good fish food, make and or grow your own. :)

I make my dog food: brown rice, ground turkey, peas & carrots, but they get a good kibble as well.

Can you or anyone recommended a good Oscar pellet? I will find out what she’s used to & google. I’ll not switch out suddenly.

I've logged in 8542 Fitbit steps this morning setting up the temporary 56 G for Pink Oscar! Borrowed one of three !10 G capacity filters from the goldfish & a large foam sponge filter & pump from another tank Both fully cycled. Borrowed goldfish substrate, washed thoroughly. Had a heater.

Much appreciative of mj Gomez's fishing net suggestion. Nice guy at a sporting goods store helped me select the perfect one. it has some kind of coating to protect the scales.

Getting Pink in an hour!

The photo uploaded on its side. did a rotation in windows & am unable to upload using manage attachments

second attempt to upload rotated photo

Attachments

• 56 .jpg
    56 .jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 11
second attempt to upload rotated photo
Hello again, this may be a little late but was wondering what type & sz filter you'll be running on 125gallon? Reason asking is you may want to put on this tank now to get seeded. Is there still time to ask original owner of fish for filter media. Be sure to test daily ammonia & nitrite rise quickly. Be prepared to do daily water changes if needed.

Hey, there. The current plan is to use the cycled AquaClear 110 borrowed from the goldfish tank & on the 56 now for the new 125 and to buy a new AquaClear 110 or Seachem Tidal 110 to replace the moved AquaClear 110 so the Goldies will have their 3 big HOBs

Additionally, I’m considering taking one of two Fluval FX4 filters that came with the 125 that has 2 bigger sevs & 4 little ones. These are big things that look like shop vacs & I am thinking that tank has too much filtration for the 6 fish. The seller either worked in or owned a pet shop and had a bet going he could keep 100 African peacocks in the tank. He was a weird guy, but I got great prices on everything. I think those filters sell for $300 each. I never saw his stocked tank; he sold all the fish at the pet shop.

Of course, the big canister filters are fully cycled. What do you think of this plan ?

& I am carefully monitoring params.

PS. I bought the fishing net to this guy’s house. He whips out this grossly undersized net & I handed him mine. He had Pink in an instant & said: Wow! How’d you get this idea? I said coz some smart guy in a fish forum recommended it. He was very impressed.

He had some incredible reefer tanks. Mostly coral, awesome specimens, but a few flashy little fish. His SW tanks looked just like the ones at the local SW shop. He got all this stuff there.

I also have multiple tanks. To many to list. I found w/hob it seemed I was cleaning every couple wks but w/ canisters it was every couple of months + it added more bio, mechanical media & water volume.
On my Oscar tank I use this sunsun hw3000. I purchased off Amazon 110$ pre COVID price(2019). I actually purchased 2 because they were sunsun brand & thought it might break easily. To date I've only been running 1 without having to replace any parts & still have the other in closet as a backup.
Might I also suggest that you look into some type of power head or wave maker for circulation. When situated properly this will actually move waste & uneaten food towards intake keeping substrate looking presentable.Screenshot_20221126-143855.jpg

:fish1::thanks::fish2:Marvelous suggestions! I will def check out the canister filter you like & the other equipment. I think I have a new power head given to me by the guy who sold me my first 90 G cichlid/catfish tank. He said he bought it & never used it, so I packed it away & truth be told, didn’t really know what is was for, but I still have it

Back
Top Bottom