Advice required before starting up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbie1970

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently decided that I would like to convert from freshwater to saltwater and had a few questions.

1. Will my normal Hagen 25 gallon with normal fluorescent be sufficient?
2. I do have a protein skimmer as well as 1 motorhead and 1 aquaclear filter? do I need something else.
3. I have a 40 pound bag of LS. I sure this is enough...
4. Planning on addind 25 pds of LR and maybe 3-4 fish max.

Any advice would be good. Thanks!

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

1. Answered above. I do want to add, if that is a lid that covers the top of the tank, you may have problems keeping your pH up.
2. What kind of protien skimmer/what volume is it rated to do? If you go with 1.5-2 Lbs of rock per gallon, and a skimmer, that should be all you need for proper biofiltration.
3. That depends on how deep you want your sandbed.
4. More rock and depending on what kind of fish you want will dictate how many.

Thanks for the replies!

my aquarium does have a cover with the intergrated light...uh oh! I guess I need to replace that!

I was planning on cycling my tank with a mixture of uncured and cured LR. Is this a good idea (I<m assuming this process will take approx. 6 weeks -- correct?)? I also read on your site, the shrimp method...

I can't remember the name of the Protein skimmer (it's at home) but do remember it costing $160.00 cdn and filters up to 100 gallons.

What is the ideal depth of the sandbed?

oh my, will 1.5 lbs per gallon fit in a 25 gallon. it is only 30" wide.

As for fish, i am obviously looking at 2 clowns and perhaphs one 6 strip wasse (not sure of the spelling of this one, I saw this at the LFS and thought it was quite nice -- they also advised that this fish is compatible with clowns).

I should state that the LFS around my area is quite limited for Saltwater, so this forum is going to help tremendously!

If you are getting cured LR from your LFS, you could possibly shorten your cycle (if you get enough, say around 40 Lbs), since the cured LR would already have the nitrifying bacteria in/on it.
If you are looking to save some money, you could use Base Rock www.marcorocks.com and the raw shrimp.
Typically, a tank takes about 4-6 weeks to cycle.
I;m not sure on the skimmer.
Sandbed is personal preference. My 55G has about 2.5 inches and my 125G is about 4 inches.
2 clowns and a 6 line wrasse can work, make sure you put some egg crate over the top of the tank, as wrasses are known to carpet surf.

Back
Top Bottom