African brown knife fish compatibility question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! This is gonna be my first thread in some time that ISN'T in the Classifieds section (lol)! Yay!

Ever since I found a new home for my Yellow Tiger Endlers, I started looking at some bigger fish. Again (see one of my older threads in my statistics that is also about these fish) the African brown knife fish caught my eye.

Here's my question. I think I'm crazy, but it's worth a shot. I have 3 fully grown, healthy platies, 2 zebra danios (I know, I should have more, don't you dare tell me!!), 1 small Angelfish, 1 clown loach, 1 Bolivian Ram, and 2 of each of: Zygatus, Bronze, and Peppered cories. I also have 4 Neon tetras that would have a ready new home if I decide to get an African brown knife fish. Will an African brown knife even kind of get along with these guys? Even if he/she will, I won't be buying for at least 2 weeks. I'll make sure to do as much research as possible.

Thanks guys! If you have any questions regarding the compatibility of my CURRENT fish, please do not discuss it in this thread, please PM me. I really am hoping to keep this thread free of clutter and on topic.

I'd be afraid he would eat/kill everything. Brown knives are very aggressive, but not all fish are the same. I've seen them get along with other fish.... but I have seen them kill everything that moves. As soon as the lights go out it could be a free for all.
According to monsterfishkeepers, they are compatible with large fish, they wouldn't consider prey. Remember if it fits in his mouth (or anywhere close to fitting) he will consider it prey. They get 8-10 inches, and are pretty aggressive.
It all comes down to... How upset would you be if he ate/killed everything?
I had one for a few days (10-12 years ago) he killed/maimed everything in my tank. He went right back to the store. I would be willing to try one again, only if he were the only inhabitant.

I currently have a black ghost knife, I much prefer his looks and temperament. Mine is a shameless beggar, comes out to beg for food at the top everytime I go near his tank. Lol. ;) If you have a dimly lit tank any knifefish will be more active.

Back
Top Bottom