African Dwarf Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovefishys

Aquarium Advice Activist
We got my little sister an aquarium. For the time being we are keeping it at our house since she is out of town for a week. Before she left we got everything up and running. Then we purchased some fish. One is an African dwarf frog. He is not eating (at least what I have seen) and is loosing weight. Today he has been laying on the bottom (common) but is rarely moving. I thought he had passed away so I was going to scoop him out. He moved a little but not much. I have tried bloodworms, NLS, a small dead fly with the wings removed (our LFS suggested this) and flake food. What should I do? We have saltwater tanks not freshwater so I am stumped :)

Here is a picture of him.

Attachments

• image-1920001792.jpg
    image-1920001792.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 67
These little guys are basically blind. Put the blood worms right in front of his face, he will find them. They are nocturnal, so its no surprise you haven't seen him eat. how big is the aquarium? Is he able to get to the top? While fully aquatic, they do still need air.

Edit: what else is in the tank with him?

He was in an 8 gallon Bio cube. But the little stinker kept jumping into the filtration. So we switched them over to a 10 galling tank (roughly 6-7 gallons of water) and have an air pump. He is coming up to the top with a problem. They is an albino cat fish and 2 guppies in the tank with them. I personally thought that the cat fish needed to be in a larger tank but many said he would be great. It has been a very long time since I have been into fresh water :)

I know nothing about those fish. Mine are also in a 10. I have 4 frogs with 2 betta. I've been told they are social and like groups. Use a turkey baster to get the food right in front of him. Once you are sure he's been eating, feed in the same place every day. Pretty soon he will learn that's where he gets food and will wait for it. I have some small plates I feed mine on and it works well.

Back
Top Bottom