Agressive Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Porkchopvic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 3 guppy and got 2 new shordtail females. two of the three guppy are attacking one of the shordtail. I thought guppy were pritty dossle fish whats up.:-?

That explains it! I don't think they are attacking so much as trying to mate with the females. <Any females!!! in the absence of females of the same species, the males will go for anything!!>

Also when you have males to females of livebearers, you should also have the females out number the males by atleast 2:1 better is 3:1. They do this because the males always want "lovin" from the females, if it's one male and one female the female could die of stress from being chased around all the time, thats why it's better to have 2:1 females to males or 3:1.

Update to all this and a little twist, I brought back the two female shordtale and picked up two males. Guess what........ these guppies continued the same behavior with the males.
So I brought the males back and picked up 4 neon Tetras. If they continue I will have to ship these guppies off to a friend and hope they behave there.

Back
Top Bottom