Algae bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zyovka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody,:rolleyes: I've been a silent reader of this wonderful site, but now I feel obligated to share my thoughts about algae. It became a real problem for the last two week. I have a 55 gal tank with 20 blue neons, 2 mollies and 2 platies (had 3 guppies, but they died). I started this tank approx. 4 months ago. I am fascinated with water plants and I see my fish tank as a green water garden mostly, where the fish is just a secondary part of the garden. Unfortunately I have a really bad experience from the very beginning. First, I had a wrong light, probably around 50W, so nothing grew in it, plants remained dormant, then I purchased a nice light with two fluorescent bulbs, 65W each. You can't imagine what a beautiful tank it was for a month or so...Plants were thriving, until a month ago I did noticed some green discoloration of water... Well, my bad, but I thought it would go away by itself... the longer one waits the worth it becomes. I did black out for a 2 days and the water have cleared out to certain extend. But then it turned worth. Now I have it so bad, that you can barely see fish in it. Typical story ( I have read a lot similar stories all over the internet). Well, water has been tested all that time and never showed any signs of disbalance. I mean everything was normal ( that what I've been told at the fish store). I did regular weekly 10-15% water changes, but it didn't work. The last time I was there I specifically asked to test phosphates. It showed the worth possible level on that scale.They said it's because of algae. Well, during this period I've tried 2 different algae destroyers, which didn't help, but 2 fishes died. I guess it had something to do with those chemicals ( I guess those chemicals damage gills), or may be oxygen deprived during the night hours ( how stupid of me was to forget to put the pump on). Well, after reading all sort of forums, I bought a Magnum 350 and left it pumping for the entire night. It did nothing. Then I bought a diatom powder. First portion helped somehow, you could see the fish. After pumping the water for 4 hours, I realized I have to recharge the powder, so I took a new micron filter, added diatom powder and the water cleared even more, but not completely. It still keeps pumping, so tomorrow I will see how it goes ( the fish tank is in the office where I work). What else? Yes, I do realize that I have too much light, because besides of light fixture in my fish tank, I have additional day light from the window and a day light from the fluorescent bulbs in the office. I have to balance it as well. But, my biggest disappointment, is that my real water plants are doing really badly. Leaves are discolored, some got rotten... it looks horrible. I was trying to dig some information if algae bloom can bring damage to the water plants and frankly was not able to find anything about that. Any suggestions? Oh, I think I got this green water problem after adding some fertilizer from the fish store. I do not exactly remember the brand, but I think it was Tetra brand. The guy that initially set up my fish tank, put some strange type of substrate in the fish tank. Again I do not remember the name, but it is a painted stuff, stones are mixed: blue and yellow (some sort of epoxy covered stuff, they actually say it is ok for plants and roots, but I have certain doubts about that)..... Well, sorry for such a long input, but may be it eventually might be helpful to other people who suffer from the same stupid algae blooms. :(

See if this site helps you out
Types of Algae

And welcome to AA, i have had plants in my tank for almost three years and I am still very much a newbie, but the wonderfull people on here are a lot of help, feel free to ask any question that you may have.

I run a UV sterilizer it took care of my green water problem.

Thanks for your reply, guys;) First, I want to report, that the new micron cartridge with diatom powder made an excellent job. Water cleared up significantly, it is still a little bit foggy, despite the fact I had to recharge diatom powder 3 times, but some cloudiness remains and I wonder if this can be for a reason of diatom powder got into the water between cycles of powder recharging. Fish looks ok, but water plants do look very poor. Leaves look half rotten, a lot of dead leaves. So I trimmed the rotten parts of plants and picked up the floating remains. I put a black plastic from the garbadge bag on the fish tank wall to protect it from the side where the sun light comes from, I hope it will reduce natural day light. Thanks a lot for the sticky links. They are so informative, I want to read them again and again and to digest the information, to analyze it to certain extend. I do not remember exactly the type of fertilizer I have been using, but tomorrow, when I'll be back to the office I will check and post it. I plan to start planting again as soon as I will get to the store to buy some live plants. To be frank, I am a little annoyed with the fact, that I had to recharge diatom powder 3 times, but I guess that was the only option available for me. For some reason the micron filter from Magnum 350 does not do the job by itself, probably this microscopic algae somehow manages to go through the micropores. I saw today the nicest water plant on ebay, it's called Pellia, what a beauty. Do you think the shipping from Malaysia to US won't harm the plant? I have never ordered live plants by mail before.... Again, thank you for your inputs:wink:

from what ive heard shipping from malaysia takes forever and i wouldnt count on it. i would try to buy it locally, or at least from someone from the US. and plants generally do fine in the mail as long as its only a few days

Well, I just want to let you know, that fertilizer I've been using twice is Sera Florena.

You can usually find pella on aquabid for a good price closer than malaysia. Also did you do a big water change after running the diatom powder. You should do a 50% water change before and after running this treatment to do its best.

When you add new plants give them time to settle and root before adding any liquid ferts so the plants will be able to better utilize the ferts or you will end up in the same situation.

With running high light and co2 you would be better off using dry ferts which are available online. It would be cheaper for you. Also you can dose EI and do 50% water change each week to reset your parameters.

With GW, a large PWC should be done before starting any treatment to remove as much as possible.

It is really REALLY BAD to get the diatom powder into the tank. It will damage the gills of the fish and anything else living in the tank. I don't know how you are "recharging" the Magnum, but the way I do it with my Vortex XL is to use a separate 5 gallon bucket with 1-2 gallons of water. Dump the powder into that water (be careful as you shouldn't be breathing it in either!), and make sure it all gets on the membrane, then put the hoses into the tank without letting air get in. This can be a bit tricky, as you can't turn the filter off or the powder falls off the membrane. What I do is use a large glass.

Put the glass in the bucket, put the tubes inside the glass, and then (with the pump running), lift the glass out of the bucket and into the tank. This way you have the filter completely ready to go and no powder will get into the tank.

A diatom filter should make the water CRYSTAL clear, if you see any cloudiness you have to do it again...

Thanks for your inputs. I agree, that dry fertilizer must be better, it must be dissolving slower. I swear this algae bloom had something to do with adding up Sera Florena.
About recharging Magnum with diatom powder. I do it in the bucket with 4 gallons of water in it, and yes, I did notice that when I transfer hoses in the tank from the bucket, I always get s small cloud of foggy fluid coming out from the hose in the water tank and yes, the powder falls down from the membrane while I transfer hoses. I think using a glass to do this transfer is a very good idea.
I will do big water change this upcoming week. To be frank, its kind of scary to start planting again, I think I still did not balance light issues...:peace: I'll keep posting how it goes though... thanks again:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom