Algae Problem! Will snails help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am new to keeping fish myself even though my family always had a large tank. I have three tanks, a 5 gallon hex, a 20 gallon tall, and a 29 (tall i believe).

They have all been setup for several months now. They have all cycled. In the 20 gallon I have a brown algae bloom running rampant. I did a 50% water change the other day. I scrubbed the glass, cleaned the gravel, cleaned all rocks, and even wiped my live plants off (they were covered). After refilling and putting the fish back the algae has just exploded over everything. I am looking for a long term solution and I was thinking of getting a snail or snails, but I know nothing about them. I could definitely use some help!

pH stays level at about 7.2

Ammonia, nitrites are 0

nitrates are very low, but not quite 0

Here is what is in my tank:

2 honey gourami
2 white skirt tetras
1 bloodfin tetra
5 neon tetra
1 Dalmatian molly
1 yellow lab (i know it may seem crazy to have a yellow lab in a community tank, but he is TINY and very docile for now. The yellow lab and the molly seem to be best friends for now. I plan to move him to a bigger tank eventually)

I've always heard from great things about malaysian trumpet snails but if you over feed your fish you will get an explosion of these snails. I'm not sure how well they would do in a gravel tank though as most people as far as I know that has them has them in tanks with sand. Mystery snails are a trip to watch but as for eating algae the three I have kind of suck. Although since putting one in my 10 gallon it's take care of some algae but not all of it. I'll still have to scrub the tank out since it's pretty bad. How long to do keep your lights on? I know I end up keeping mine on longer then they should be and I know that is probably why I'm having issues other then my nitrates being elevated.

From what I have looked up Mystery snails are not recommended for eating algae. From what you are saying this is true. I looked up Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS) and they sound like a great option for my planted tank. Thanks!

Also, I have my lights on a timer be on for 12 hours. Is that too long? My fish and plants seem to like it.

Brown algae is usually caused by silicates / phosphates in the water. It's common in new tanks, keep scrubbing, and it should stop itself 3-4 month after cycling, I had this problem with all my new tanks, and it stopped itself.

If you have too much light, you should know it soon, as the water will become green, green spots will appear on the glasses, maybe be staghorn algae will appear on the plants/objects and BBAs can appear 2.

If on of these algae is your case, then reduce lighting to 10 hrs.

No green yet. Of course the brown algae has only been in the tank lightly for a week. It was not until the water change that it really exploded.

I asked and called local suppliers and no one carries MTS. Just mystery snails at the chain stores. What are some alternate algae eaters for my 29 gallon tank?

If it's brown algae that stick to the glass and is easy to remove, I don't think you'll find a dawg that'll eat that.

I already had: Siamensis (one of best algae eaters), pond snails, other snail kind, killer snails, pleco, and none of them ate this algae film.

Did you tested for water quality ? I mean nitrates/phosphates ?

From what I have looked up Mystery snails are not recommended for eating algae. From what you are saying this is true. I looked up Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS) and they sound like a great option for my planted tank. Thanks!

Also, I have my lights on a timer be on for 12 hours. Is that too long? My fish and plants seem to like it.

Yeah I realized that after I got them. I should have done more research then I did. They are still pretty cool though.

I have a 30g and I had tons of brown algae. I recently got guppies and swordtails, and they love eating it! Its great!:)

no fish or snail will take care of algae. You need less light and more water changes. Lights should be 6-8 hours max. My lights will sometimes be on for 10 hours but then I will go a day with out turning it on at all. Lights on the tank are for us. The Ambient light of the room is enough for the fish. Test your water, You maybe over feeding your tank polluting the water and giving the algae something to feed off from.

I have a 30g and I had tons of brown algae. I recently got guppies and swordtails, and they love eating it! Its great!:)

What is most likely happening is they are eating the excess food so the brown algae is not getting as much. neither of those fish are algae eaters.

no fish or snail will take care of algae. You need less light and more water changes. Lights should be 6-8 hours max. My lights will sometimes be on for 10 hours but then I will go a day with out turning it on at all. Lights on the tank are for us. The Ambient light of the room is enough for the fish. Test your water, You maybe over feeding your tank polluting the water and giving the algae something to feed off from.

Live plants still need light. Room lighting isn't going to keep them alive. :blink:

They go up to the glass sides and nibble off the glass. Since I got them, the brown algae hasn't been turning up. I'm not sure exactly what they are doing, but it has stopped it growing.

A picture would help for identification but if the tank is fairly new you most likely have diatoms. Diatoms are self limiting and once excess silicates are used up from the water they will die off. Nerite Snails are great for keeping diatoms under control. Also only run lighting 6 hours daily so less diatoms form. You also need to test your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates to be sure that is not attributing to the problem. Just do your normal 50% weekly WC. Also I don't know what substrate you have but some sand used in aquariums leach silicates.

Update! So the algae (or whatever it was) has cleared almost completely. It seems to have tried to have a last stand after I scrubbed the tank, but it has lost the fight.

I am still looking to get some snails for my tanks though.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice! I really appreciate it!

A picture would help for identification but if the tank is fairly new you most likely have diatoms. Diatoms are self limiting and once excess silicates are used up from the water they will die off. Nerite Snails are great for keeping diatoms under control. Also only run lighting 6 hours daily so less diatoms form. You also need to test your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates to be sure that is not attributing to the problem. Just do your normal 50% weekly WC. Also I don't know what substrate you have but some sand used in aquariums leach silicates.

I am looking for a good price in nerite snails then I will get some.

I will try doing my lighting for less time. But I will probably decrease it slowly so as to not disturb the light cycle I have my fish on now.

My tap water tests perfect as does my tank water . My nitrates could be lower, but they are in a normal range.

I use river rock gravel mixed with laterite for my plants. Could the laterite be a silicate source?

Back
Top Bottom