Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjcatlin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if ammonia helps cause algae? If so would adding an ammonia remover to my canister filter to help get rid of it.

Algae DEFINITELY utilizes ammonia, but you should not really have any ammonia readings in your tank, or at least try not to... What type of fish do you have?

Types of fish

In this particular tank, 60 gallon, I have: 2 angelfish, 3 bala sharks, 2 parrot cichlids, 1 clown loach, 1 pleco, and 1 betta fish

Hmm.. your bio-load does not seem that high for a tank that big, unless all of your fish are fully grown adults? What type of filter do you have? With those fish, most of them get pretty big, and over filtering (at least with some biological filtration) is a good idea. How long has the tank been established? Is it fully cycled yet? If so, you don't really want to remove too much ammonia. The bacteria will need it.

I've had the tank for about two years now. I have a Fluval 304. I would say the fish are juveniles they aren't real big yet. There isn't really a lot of algae, just some on the glass and on the ship. If my pleco wasn't so lazy it would probably be cleaner, he likes to stay in the ship a lot. Thanks for your help.

Excess light is the biggest cause of algae.
Is the tank located near a window where it would receive sunlight? What kind of artificial lighting do you have? Is it on a timer - for how long each day?

The tank is located near my front door, but it never actually receives direct sunlight. I have it on a timer and it is set for 2 pm to 10 pm, as I work third shift. The bulbs are Eclipse Natural Daylight. I have not changed them since I've had the tank. I have two fixtures, each is 17W. That isn't enough is it?

Well, lighting is funny... too much can cause algae, and too little can cause algae. That is unless what I suspect is true

There are other factors also.

My bet is your nitrAtes and/or phosphates are too high. You are probably feeding too much. How often are you changing the water? How much water do you change when you change it? When was the last time you gave the glass a good wipe down on the inside of the tank?

When was the last time you cleaned the filter? Did you rinse the media when you did?

How long since you did a deep gravel vacuuming?

Now, don't go running to do all this before answering all these questions. If you have OTS (Old tank syndrome) doing these things can kill your fishkids. You gotta ease into things.

If it isn't infrequent water changes, then my bet is overfeeding or poor food quality. How much and how often do you feed, and what kind of foods are you feeding your fish?

These things will help a lot. After you tell us, we can probably help you get things under control. In the meantime, run to petsmart and invest $40 in a python no spill cleaning system, and an algae scrub pad you can manipulate with your hands (to scrub the glass and the boat with). You are going to need it to get things under control.

I feed them only four days a week. I'm a little lazy, so I really don't clean the tank. I already have a scrubber and a Python. The fish seem pretty happy. I was really just asking a simple question. Thanks.

Simple question, difficult answer.

Cleaning is the problem. Old tank syndrome. Nitrates and/or phosphates thru the roof.

Even feeding four days a week, if you are feeding a lot during the feeding period, a bunch may not get eaten and fall into the substrate and rot, then turning into ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate.

Got a nitrate test kit? Get a reading and post it. If it is over 20-25 ppm, there is your problem.

To fix the issue, you have to start doing regular, weekly water changes. That is the only way to get rid of the algae. You can't just start willy nilly though if you haven't been doing them much.

Start with a 5% tank volumn once a week. Then increase to 5% 2x/week. Then 10% once a week, then 10% 2x/week, then 20% once a week, so on, until you get up to 50% a week.

Each water change, do a deep gravel vac on at least a portion of the gravel. In the beginning this is going to be hard because the water changes are going to be so small. But if you do bigger than 5-10% to start, you will shock the fish and they will die.

Once you get up to 50% a week, you have to do that from then on, at least every other week.

Hard facts: If you aren't doing at least 10% a week, or 25% every other week, the nitrates in the tank are slowly poisoning the fish. Kind of like if you have lead paint in your house. They don't show signs right away....it takes time. But eventually, it starts to show. And it takes a long time for them to die a long painful death.

Or you can look at it another way. It would be like you and your friends and family living in a nicely sized apartment building, with an endless food supply, with no doors or windows, and no toilets. After a while, it will smell pretty nice in there, eh? A month wouldn't be too bad. Imagine 3 months. A year.

Hate to put it that way. We like to forget that our fish are more than just decorations that move, but they are pets that are responsibilities. If we think they don't have feelings, buy a king tiger pleco and pull it out of the water. They croak from the suffocation. Drop a goldfish in water that is too hot or too cold and watch them freak out from the pain. They definitely feel. It isn't pleasant to watch them die.

Back to the algae. Yeah, start putting the python to use. The algae will go away pretty fast if you do water changes. Get the poop out and the excess food, and you'll be amazed.

P.S. There is no such thing as a fish that eats poop. Plecos and other bottom feeders don't. It is a myth. And if you don't want to do regular water changes, find a friend to take the tank and fish. They really deserve someone who will not slowly poison them to death. I am not trying to be mean, it is just the facts, mate.

Original question:

I was wondering if ammonia helps cause algae? If so would adding an ammonia remover to my canister filter to help get rid of it.

...and after receiving some suggestions and tips...

I'm a little lazy, so I really don't clean the tank. I already have a scrubber and a Python. The fish seem pretty happy. I was really just asking a simple question. Thanks.

Members see a multitude of issues when they see questions such as yours. What they are attempting to do is find the root cause of why you have ammonia in your tank, which based on your answers, there shouldn't be any. Therefore, the trick is to determine why you have ammonia and to help you get rid of the algae.

What is missing is the type of algae you have. There are different methods of treating each one. It is possible that it was caused by OTS but that would depend on the type of algae you have.

Thanks for the information. I used to be anal about the cleanings, then I started getting slack. I never thought that bottom feeders ate waste. I don't have any friends to whom I could give the tank. Thanks.

Sorry for sounding harsh mate. If you used to be anal, then you can be anal again. Just get back into your routine. I just got out of a funk where I let my tanks go to pot. Fortunately, none of my fish died, but I grew algae in one of my tanks of varieties that I am not sure they have yet classified.

Stuff happens in our lives that can get us feeling funky. And take our priorities and screw them up. Then I remembered that I actually found cleaning my fish tanks to be soothing and enjoyable. It was almost meditation for me, and the effects of the cleanings were lasting throughout the week, giving me pleasure of seeing a sparkling tank. It also increased my desire in the hobby, causing me to want to learn more about specific biotopes, planted aquaria, and so on....thus giving me a reason to get out of my funks.

I get in funks. I get busy with other things. Stuff happens. It happens to everyone. But I find that this is something I must make time for, not just for the fish, but also for me. It is like brushing my teeth, or taking a jog. It is my version of yoga. It is something for my body, mind and spirit. I truly enjoy it. The act of cleaning the tank is cathartic, the routine schedule, the artful placement of it.

Maybe you could consider re-scaping your tank...making it a new environment to re-stimulate your interest in it. Your stock is low, maybe you could introduce some new fish, or take out the ones you have and start a biotope.

Go out and do some research, look at pictures of other aquariums you admire and get some ideas. It will stimulate you to regrow interest, and find your inner anal tank cleaner again. If it was there once, it is still there. Sounds to me that it isn't that you don't care, but that you have just become disenchanted...bored.

Just a thought. Maybe it is time for an overhaul.

I just got through cleaning the tank, filter, ship, etc. It only took about three hours, not bad considering how long it went without a cleaning. It is rather relaxing and rewarding in the end. I'll maybe add another fish or two, once I get some money. I also need to take my betta back to work with me.

P.S. - Are you from Aussie-land, MyCatsDrool?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom