All my fantails died of swim bladder!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Armadillo Dream

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help me! All of my fish died of swim bladder (or floatations related diseases) and I want to know why and what I can do to have healthier fish!
1. I was using flake food
2. I cleaned the tank (30% water change) every week
3. They gulped at the top alot!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410125736.539117.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410125760.259146.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hiya

I have a Comet suffering from Swim Bladder at the moment, I have learnt alot from reading up this past week but I'm no expert so probably not the best to answer.

Going by the questions I was asked in order for people to help have yoiu got anymore info, such as:-

Tank size, how many fish in it and what are they, do you test your water regularly and what are the readings of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, what type of filter do you have?

Sorry you have lost them :-(

Nicki

Your tank size and exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph will be very helpful. Is this a new tank (setup in the past three months)? Filtration? Acclimation process? Was it cycled fishin or fishless with an ammonia source?

Based off your pictures and description of your fish gasping for air, it sounds like poor water quality was responsible for your fish's demise. Some more information will help to find more definitive answers so that your tank will be a success in the future!

Your tank size and exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph will be very helpful. Is this a new tank (setup in the past three months)? Filtration? Acclimation process? Was it cycled fishin or fishless with an ammonia source?

Based off your pictures and description of your fish gasping for air, it sounds like poor water quality was responsible for your fish's demise. Some more information will help to find more definitive answers so that your tank will be a success in the future!

Thanks for your help, but my last fish died over 5 months ago, so I have stopped using the tank. I just wanted to find out what I could do to stop it happening again. I have also heard that putting in an aeration rock could help oxygenise the water! Again, thanks for your help x

Was your tank cycled? If you don't know exactly what that entails, the articles section on this site has an excellent explanation of the whole process.

Next up is for future reference: especially with goldfish, flake foods are not recommended because of swim bladder issues that arise from them gulping too much air- on addition to the often poor quality associated with them. A high quality, sinking pellet supplemented with veggies and peas mixed in will help to prevent buoyancy issues.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you decide to have fantails again

Ensure
20gallons for the first fish then 10gallons each fish after that.
Feed pellets and veg weekly this helps prevent swim bladder problems. If you chose to use flakes push them below the water surface so they sink. But sinking pellet are best. Unless you have a stubborn fish like my platy Rodney who refuses to eat anything else but tropical flakes. Sometime even pellets dont sink so you can soak them in a cup of tank water for a min or so before you put into the tank. Try out different veg with the fish. My blackmoors and veiltail love peas, broccoli and aparasgus. Green veg seem to be the best. par boil so they are soft. If you fantails under a year old juviniles feed small mupitle feeds throughout the day. Then once they are adults feed about twice a day. Regular waterchanges once a week at round 50% is what i do and seems to be working. Use as much filtration as you want more the better. GOOD LUCK.

Another thing. Fantails like other goldfish have a big bioload so they eat and poo alot. I have found that using pebbles as a subtrate rather than gravel makes it far easier to remove uneaten food and the therefore the water quality stays better for longer. I really recommend pebbles as a subtrate the waste doesnt get stuck underneath it like it does in gravel so is more eaisly sucked up into the filter. Pebbles look prettier and i never have to worry again about my fish getting gravel stuck in thier mouths which has happened twice

goldfish love frozen peas mine eat around 10 a day along with there pellets
i also hang a fresh stalk of broccoli in both my freshwater tanks and saltwater tanks
almost every fish i have go nuts over it , it helps prevent gas build up in there bladders
and it helps enhance there coloring
img_3050040_0_74580cd6c6c58dc9e623525c6f6a6202.jpg

Back
Top Bottom