All of my fish are dying!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cfassett

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just upgraded from a 10 gal to a 55 gal tank.

1 Balloon Molly
~25 young platies (2-6 months)
2 Amano Shrimp

The old tank was a bit strained by the population but I kept on top of water changes. Nitrites were a little high when I transferred the fish. The new tank had been set up for a week and a half cycling. I used some of the decorations from the old tank, some filter media, and a bacterial supplement to give it the best chance cycling that I could give it. Water parameters have been impeccable from the time I transferred the fish to now with the exception of temperature.

The tank was bought secondhand. The silicone was in bad shape so I redid that, it came with a heater and a Rena Filstar xp2 canister filter. The tank may have been partially cleaned with glass cleaner, but I rinsed it thoroughly with water and have done everything I could to remove contamination from that.

The actual problem:

When we transferred the fish on thursday night everything looked great, we fed them, temp was 78 degrees. When we got up in the morning we saw that the temp had dropped to 68 and the heater was obviously not working. All of the fish were at the top of the tank except for a few dead and our molly was upsidedown with swim bladder issues. I rushed out and got a new heater and slowly raised the temperature back up to 78.

Over the next few days the fish have been at the surface not eating. one by one they keep dying with no signs of improvement. The molly is dead and we're down to 5 platies. We've checked water parameters repeatedly, everything is in the best condition I know how to put it. Oddly the shrimp have had no problems whatsoever. I know inverts are often a good bellwether for tank issues and they're just as happy as can be.

Is this normal for fish that went through temperature shock combined with the stress of the actual transfer? Fish that seemed strong yesterday are dead or dying today. How can I reduce stress in the aquarium to give them the best chance.
Their behavior seems more like water toxicity to me, is it possible that there's residual contamination from the glass cleaner? I Tried to get rid of that and I've performed water changes, would said toxicity appear in any kinds of water tests that I could run?

Any other ideas? I'm all out.

Sorry for the length and thank you for any suggestions. This is my first time posting on a forum though I've been reading them for years.

Pictures of fishes (dead or alive) might help

I would turn out the light or turn them down, and play some quiet, calm music, they need to chill out and be cool.

Did you do a big water change before adding the fish? I'm a newbie when it comes to aquariums but maybe it's gas bubbles

yep, I've been chilling

I've had the light off since yesterday since I saw that can help reduce stress. I didn't do a large water change before adding them, I did one a little less than 10% the day before and I did another 10% yesterday.

Attachments

• tmp_24166-20170514_172820786402766.jpg
    tmp_24166-20170514_172820786402766.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 62
  • tmp_24166-20170514_172826342867997.jpg
    tmp_24166-20170514_172826342867997.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 59
  • tmp_24166-20170514_172842-53345273.jpg
    tmp_24166-20170514_172842-53345273.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 57
Maybe you should move a few of them back to where you had them before? just in case it is something to to with the tank

just throwing ideas out there

Sorry for your losses. What are the water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate? My guess would be a combination of the temperature drop and ammonia poisoning from an uncycled tank.

Edit: I see you said "nitrItes were a little high" when you first moved them. Nitrite is even more harmful to fish than ammonia. In a cycled tank ammonia and nitrite will be zero. Good thought on putting the media from the old tank in, that should help speed up cycling a lot. In the meantime I would do 50% water changes every day in this case; this can also help remove any possible contaminants from the glass cleaner.

The temp drop should not have killed them, mine have went cold when we had power outages and never lost a fish.

I would think it might be the cleaner which could have killed them so fast, even rinsing does not guarantee the chemicals are all gone.

The temp drop should not have killed them, mine have went cold when we had power outages and never lost a fish.

I would think it might be the cleaner which could have killed them so fast, even rinsing does not guarantee the chemicals are all gone.
Yes that water temp change could definitely kill the fish as I've lost a couple with power outages in the winter while sleeping, if I was awake then it wouldn't of dropped Cause i would of floated hot water bottles, could be pH changes but them at the surface tells me is probably water parameters as they went from a tank they were acclimated to, into a tank with different parameters, it would be best if we had the readings so we could make a solid analysis instead of guessing, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate ph(old tank and new) ph drops/spikes will kill fish super fast.

Back
Top Bottom