Amazon Swords Question.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just planted my new swords and the leaves are quite transparent on the ends. Will they recover or are those sections dead already? That will be a bummer as they are large and beautiful - I don't want to have to trim them all back!

Also, does this always happen when you order swords online - or did I just not plant them fast enough (they did sit there for a couple of days as I didn't have time to plant them.....)?

Thanks as always my fishy friends......:)

Just planted my new swords and the leaves are quite transparent on the ends. Will they recover or are those sections dead already? That will be a bummer as they are large and beautiful - I don't want to have to trim them all back!

Also, does this always happen when you order swords online - or did I just not plant them fast enough (they did sit there for a couple of days as I didn't have time to plant them.....)?

they should recover. On one of my tanks I have a crappy old florescent light strip with only 1 plant bulb and my amazon swords grow like crazy. Api root tabs also work very well.

they should recover. On one of my tanks I have a crappy old florescent light strip with only 1 plant bulb and my amazon swords grow like crazy. Api root tabs also work very well.

Thanks though I realize my question was vague. I know the plant will recover.....what I mean is will the part of the leaf that is transparent recover or die?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I trim off the affected portions. In a month or two the plant will drop the leaf entirely as new ones grow to replace it.

I've noticed though that in my new jave plants growing off the old the leaves begin to sprout clear and then green up as it gets bigger. How big are these when you got them? Maybe the leaves didn't fully mature yet?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When you buy swords, most of the time they have been grown emmersed (out of water). All of these leaves will eventually die off, and it will send out new leaves that are more adapted to being submerged in water.

I would cut at least 1 or 2 leaves off at the base. This will stimulate new growth. The rest of the leaves can be partially trimmed, or left alone until they start to die completely, at which point they should be removed.

Ok thanks. I guess there is not much point paying more for the large sized ones then if they will just lose the leaves anyway!! Thanks for all the input.

Ok thanks. I guess there is not much point paying more for the large sized ones then if they will just lose the leaves anyway!! Thanks for all the input.

If they are grown submerged, then it does make sense. Plus larger root structure. But once the Root Tabs kick in, Swords can take off.

Even if they're grown emergent, they still use those leaves until they lose them. So a bigger sword will definitely grow larger faster than a smaller one will, emergent aside.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom