Ammonia and Nitrite spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micaelaarnold

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been cycling for about four, going on five, weeks and the ammonia and nitrites were down to zero for a couple days. I thought I was done, but for the past three days I've had a spike in levels. I tested my water at .5 ammonia and 1.0 nitrites today and followed up with a 40% WC.
I do routine 25-40% water changes every other day when I detect even the slightest ammonia and have not added anything new for a while. I've had the same seven fish since I started with the tank.
I did, however, deep clean my tank a week ago because of a fungal outbreak from my driftwood. I made sure the filter media stayed wet the entire time so no bacteria would get destroyed. Despite my efforts, have I managed to recycle my tank during the cleaning? Or is it normal for ammonia and nitrites to spike this late in the game?

•22 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

Cycling can take up to around 2 months. I would just keep going at it how you are doing.

I would point out that I would hold off on a water change until your ammonia or nitrite hit 0.5ppm rather than showing any trace.

Alright, it was at a constant .5 until it hit zero and I didn't do any water changes until it spiked. I'll lower the amount of water changes to do and see how it pans out. Thank you :) I was scared I was doing something wrong!

•22 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

Back
Top Bottom