Ammonia at 8.0 in axolotls tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Honeybee_raby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a what I thought was a cycled 20 gallon tall tank with 2 juvi axolotls. The tank was a fish in cycle and I watched the whole process

(this may not be your method of cycling but it's what I did. I love everyone here for always being able to help bUT the whole fish less or fish in cycling debate gets old)

Well, I got them about 3 weeks ago, watched for spike in ammonia and nothing, at week 2 I left to go camping and my boyfriend was watching my animals and when I came back there seemed to be absolutely nothing wrong, they were active eating etc and they still were today! What I'm getting at is I tested the ammonia on all of my tanks (that's all I got to before I went into shock) and saw that my axolotls tank was at 8.0 ppm!! They were acting fine I immediately cooled down my spare 10g planted to 63 made sure it stayed there then moved them over until I figure this out.

Was it just too much for the newly cycled tank? What do I need to do now? Please help I can't belive that the ammonia was that high and they showed absolutely no signs of distress..

What are all your levels at other than ammonia?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do a 50% PWC and then fill back up and test again

Sounds like you do have acycle, just not enough bacteria to handle the 2 axolotles

8.0ppm is certainly enough to kill almost anything in the tank unless you have a very low pH (around 6.0 or below)

Have you tested your tap water?

Are you using a liquid test kit?

Caleb

I'm using an api liquid test kit and have very hight pH 7.8 to 8.2 my tap waters ammonia is around .25
the test kit is still good and my 6 other tanks (including 2.5 gallons) parameters all came up fine. 0 - .25 ppm ammonia.
I tested again and
ammonia - 4.0 after a huge water change this morning
nitrite- shot up to .5
nitrate - 10 to 20

I'm using an api liquid test kit and have very hight pH 7.8 to 8.2 my tap waters ammonia is around .25
the test kit is still good and my 6 other tanks (including 2.5 gallons) parameters all came up fine. 0 - .25 ppm ammonia.
I tested again and
ammonia - 4.0 after a huge water change this morning
nitrite- shot up to .5
nitrate - 10 to 20

Is that the ph of the axolotl's water or your tap water? In some waters, the cycle can causes ph to fall very rapidly if it did drop some then I guess the lower ph combined with the lower temperature might just have saved your fish.

I always recommend the Seachem ammonia alert when cycling a tank with fish in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just tested again and the ammonia is at 4 ppm nitrite back at 0 and nitrate is between 5 and 10. I'm doing a wc right now. I know my tap water pH is high I'll save some of this older tank water and test it's pH when I'm done

Back
Top Bottom