Ammonia but No Nitrites Yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chilly3b

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I added FritzZyme Fishless Fuel ammonia to my new aquarium on 6/4 (about two weeks ago) and my ammonia levels are reading 2.0ppm but there are still no Nitrites in my tank. Any idea how I can jump start my cycle to get it safe for adding fish?

This is in an 8 gallon BiOrb Flow tank to which I’ve added the PondGuru’s recommended BioGravel, medium foam filters, and starter bacteria balls. I’m new to aquariums and would like to get it right! Thank you for any guidance!

Attachments

• D200A701-AE8A-4FC6-A762-4E4676C72574.jpg
    D200A701-AE8A-4FC6-A762-4E4676C72574.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 23
What was your initial dose if ammonia at?

The best way to kick start your cycle is to put some filter media from an established filter into your filter. Perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish who could let you have some? Another option is bottled bacteria such as Dr Tims One and Only. Increasing water temperature also helps, 28 to 30c (83 to 87f) is optimum. Apart from that its a waiting game, but you are only a couple of weeks in.

Have you considered a fish in cycle if you are struggling to get your cycle started?

Back
Top Bottom