ammonia level for fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But my ammonia level reads about 4 or a bit more. My test jumps right from 4 to 8. So, should I leave it until it starts to start going down?

I would leave it, as long as there is some amonia you are good. If you get too much you can stall your cycle.

OK...that's what I thought. My nitrites are up to .25 today. WOOHOO! So how low should I let the ammonia go until I add more and how much more should I add. It's a 48 gallon. :)

When it gets below 1ppm add some.
I can't say how much because there are too many variables.
I can say when I cycled my 75 gallon I added about 1/4 teaspoon twice a day of 10% amonia from Ace hardware. It would read about 2ppm an hour after adding and 0 just before adding the next dose.

Shouldn`t my ammonia levels be going down now since the nitrites showed up. They seem to be staying exactly the same. Maybe I`m just being impatient...

My 10 gallon is finally cycled!
I'm still patiently waiting for the ammonia to start coming down on my 48 gallon. The nitrites are spiking but the ammonia won't budge. I'm learning you need to be really really patient to do this fishless cycle thing. lol I guess this isn't too bad...today is day 9 of my fishless cycle. I figured it would take longer than that to even see the nitrites. I'll be jumping for joy when this is over and I can move my fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom