Ammonia Spike ... HELP PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewymoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been doing 20 gallon water changes for the every other day, adding Prime even tried Ammonia Lock ... lowered temp to 80 adding salt also to help keep the water level from spiking ..... it all started when I had a case of Ick and used the Salt and heat to treat the tank ( I have crabs and a ell so I didnt use the medication) ...... Even after the water change I am still testing at 1.0 ppm which I guess is better considering today when I got home it was at 4.0 ppm ....... I have already lost my flame fish .... what a HORRIBLE death :( My nitrite tested at 0.25 ppm .... I thought I had a 55 gallon tank but it is really a 46 gallon hex tank ..... I have 36 inches of fish .. so i am thinking its not over loaded .... a live plant ...... I also have been vaccuming the gravel with each water change. I have a 50 gallon filter Agua Clear .... changed the filer media 2 weeks ago and the ammonia media Monday.... I am thinking of getting a BIGGER filter ...... I am so sick of seeing green in my ammonia test tube and seeing purple in my nitrite ..... And never seeing my water without the dreaded white haze :((

If someone has some adive I would be so very happy to try anything I am at a loss

The ammonia lock probably didn't help much... Pm eco23 if he doesn't get here before that lol. This is his forte.

I have been doing 20 gallon water changes for the every other day, adding Prime even tried Ammonia Lock ... lowered temp to 80 adding salt also to help keep the water level from spiking ..... it all started when I had a case of Ick and used the Salt and heat to treat the tank ( I have crabs and a ell so I didnt use the medication) ...... Even after the water change I am still testing at 1.0 ppm which I guess is better considering today when I got home it was at 4.0 ppm ....... I have already lost my flame fish .... what a HORRIBLE death :( My nitrite tested at 0.25 ppm .... I thought I had a 55 gallon tank but it is really a 46 gallon hex tank ..... I have 36 inches of fish .. so i am thinking its not over loaded .... a live plant ...... I also have been vaccuming the gravel with each water change. I have a 50 gallon filter Agua Clear .... changed the filer media 2 weeks ago and the ammonia media Monday.... I am thinking of getting a BIGGER filter ...... I am so sick of seeing green in my ammonia test tube and seeing purple in my nitrite ..... And never seeing my water without the dreaded white haze :((

If someone has some adive I would be so very happy to try anything I am at a loss

Sounds like you tank isn't cycled to me, so check out the link below for in fish cycling and the whitish water is most likely a bacteria bloom.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

first off dont change your filter media just rinse it off in the water you remove from the tank. Dont replace the carbon as you dont need it. You do need a bigger filter for your tank. Also keep up with the PWC

Thanks Guys ...... I will be replacing the carbon media with the Biomax in hopes that this helps ...... Since I will be getting a new larger filter should I place them both on the tank till the new one was a time to cycle ? and I do rinse everything with tank water :) YEA score one thing right LOL Now to get this tank healthy with no loss of any fish Crossing fingers

Did you cycle your tank prior to the addition of fish?

Even if you get a larger filter, leave your current filter in place as it has some BB being established. You will want to condition the new filter completely before you remove the old filter. Leaving both in place will only benefit your fish in the mean time, extra oxygen, double capacity to grow BB etc.

Thanks Guys ...... I will be replacing the carbon media with the Biomax in hopes that this helps ...... Since I will be getting a new larger filter should I place them both on the tank till the new one was a time to cycle ? and I do rinse everything with tank water :) YEA score one thing right LOL Now to get this tank healthy with no loss of any fish Crossing fingers

I'd suggest leaving the filter as is until the spikes go away. Carbon becomes inert when it has adsorbed everything it can and becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.

So I am reading on the net that Ammo lock actually still gives a ammonia reading ..... I am thinking my tank was not fully cycled before I jumped the gun and added all my critters .... BIG mistake as I have recently just found out :) Wish I would have found this site BEFORE I becaome the owner of a big tank ... Ok so live and learn SIGH I talked to a co-worker that has breeded fish for years He says to stop using the Ammo lock ... do 10 gallon water changes with only the dechorlintor every other day .... every other day feeding .... no more vaccuming the bottom .... and add more air stones and maybe a extra air pump .... keep the temp right around 80 .....

He didnt use salt ..... So I am aking here should I still dose the tank with the aquarium salt 1/2 tsp per 5 gallon, for the stress.... I will be getting instead of a bigger filter .... I believe the 50 gallon one is ok .... I will invest in a 10 gal hospital/QT tank ..... The coworker said to start that one use the water pulled from the tank .... and some gravel to help it cycle before using it .... Cycle no fish ( I learned my lesson on that one LOL) So whatcha guys think ???

Mr. Limpet said:
Carbon becomes inert when it has adsorbed everything it can and becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.

Once full, the carbon can take 2-3 weeks and after he release a part of what he absorb, so its better to remove it! There will be bacteria but dissolve waste release to...
Just an opinion!

The aquaclear 50 is good for 25 gal.

An hexagonal need air bubble or power head for O2 pr lots of plant.

Plus the one inch per gal is no true, except for neon, danios and rasbora!! Maybe guppy, platy and molly to but it does not apply on territorial and bigger fish. If a fish is more than one inch an a half adult, it does not apply. Old rule, not that good!

Dewymoon said:
So I am reading on the net that Ammo lock actually still gives a ammonia reading ..... I am thinking my tank was not fully cycled before I jumped the gun and added all my critters .... BIG mistake as I have recently just found out :) Wish I would have found this site BEFORE I becaome the owner of a big tank ... Ok so live and learn SIGH I talked to a co-worker that has breeded fish for years He says to stop using the Ammo lock ... do 10 gallon water changes with only the dechorlintor every other day .... every other day feeding .... no more vaccuming the bottom .... and add more air stones and maybe a extra air pump .... keep the temp right around 80 .....

He didnt use salt ..... So I am aking here should I still dose the tank with the aquarium salt 1/2 tsp per 5 gallon, for the stress.... I will be getting instead of a bigger filter .... I believe the 50 gallon one is ok .... I will invest in a 10 gal hospital/QT tank ..... The coworker said to start that one use the water pulled from the tank .... and some gravel to help it cycle before using it .... Cycle no fish ( I learned my lesson on that one LOL) So whatcha guys think ???

Water is no use, gravel is not bad but a part of foam from a cycled filter is the best!

Dont want to fight about that but its my job...
Carbon absorb, after some time it adsorb!
So it take off disolve organic waste, chelated minerals, tannin and medication plus odor!! then after some times it release!
Again, only an opinion!

Ab = take in
Ad= release

Interesting because this is what I've read about it: "Note the use of the word "adsorb" with a "d". This refers to substances being bound onto the solid surface of the media, rather than being absorbed internally (in the way that a sponge absorbs water)."

Using activated carbon (charcoal) in the aquarium

I guess the author of this site (and a few others with the same info) needs to be corrected.

Can you link your studies/paper in pdf or a website with the correct info? I'm always wanting to learn more.

This is a simple fix, just add another filter and run both filters for a month or so, keep up on pwc's, every other day for a week or two, then go to 3-4 day intervals. Only wash off filter media in outgoing tank water. I'm pretty sure your ammonia spikes are a result of you completely changing your filter media. Don't replace it until its about to fall apart, even at that you should preplan and already have newer filter media ready to go in:)

*****edit*****now that I re-read what I wrote, I wouldn't even worry about washing your filter media for a month or so... It'll be fine

Mr. Limpet said:
Interesting because this is what I've read about it: "Note the use of the word "adsorb" with a "d". This refers to substances being bound onto the solid surface of the media, rather than being absorbed internally (in the way that a sponge absorbs water)."

Using activated carbon (charcoal) in the aquarium

I guess the author of this site (and a few others with the same info) needs to be corrected.

Can you link your studies/paper in pdf or a website with the correct info? I'm always wanting to learn more.

No the words are ok, i was wrong, thats the way i always explain it but i will send you personnaly the resherch. I'll need some time as its in books.

The word is not the matter but the fact that it release after time. Thats what i'll send you.

If you read the article i sent you Mr. Limpet, you will see that the more bacteria you have in the "inert" full carbon, then more DOC are release because the space is taken by bacteria and the adsorb waste is then release.
Thank,
For proof ask Mr.Limpet! I sent him!
Thanks

PS. Your article is all good except on the release part...

Back
Top Bottom