Amonia spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishywishywowoo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive a realtively new tank (ABOUT 3 WEEKS) my amonia had spiked at 1-2 week and had gone to 0. Now it just spiked to 8.0! Dont know why jumped back up. Nitrite and nitrate 0. Ph 7.2. Fish are very happy and healthy. Ive 7 wcmm and 4 hillstream loaches who all appear well. Ive just done a 60% water change. Any more is difficult as quite a long tank so takes water level quite low. It a 20g tank. Ive put some amonia lock in. I normally do a 30% pwc every 2-3 days. Any suggestions? I hoover 25% of gravel each pwc and remove any uneaten food which is never much really just a bit of algae wafer from loaches.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You are doing the right thing, but I would try to get that to .5 or less with water changes every few hours, and test every day to keep it that way.

Today ammonia is 1.0 so heading in right direction. Done another 30% pwc and hoovered gravel where the sinking food sits. Fingers crossed even less tomorrow. Fishies all happy

Today ammonia is 1.0 so heading in right direction. Done another 30% pwc and hoovered gravel where the sinking food sits. Fingers crossed even less tomorrow. Fishies all happy

Keep up the good work. I would up the water changes to 50% until you finish cycling, or 2x30%. If you are at 1ppm, a 50% change will take it down to .5ppm, while a 30% will only reduce it to about .7ppm. Your goal should be to keep the ammonia below .5ppm if you aren't aware already.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom