Anemone in a reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got an LTA that is doing excellent in my tank, and is hosting two skunk clowns who love it. I've had no problems with it and the other corals in my tank, but I've noticed it is growing huge and is getting near my fiji leather. Recently, I read on WWM that keeping anemones in a reef tank is a bad idea, and that it is unnatural as they are not found in the same areas of the reef. If it's one or the other, I'd rather have the reef (an authentic one at that), so should I remove the LTA? will the clowns be affected by the sudden removal of their home? are clowns found naturally in the reef, without their anemone hosts?

It is not "natural" but if you keep it away from corals it will be fine. I would move the leather instead of the LTA. otherwise you may make it unhappy and cause it to move around constantly until it finds a place it likes.

I think you should move the leather. I have a Green BTA and a Carpet in my 55g reef with plenty of corals. I just dont think my tank would look good without them. Just make sure there is room between creatures.

Any time you put an anemone in a reef tank you take a chance. Having said that I have 4 in my reef( a BTA that split twice and a Heteractis Malu). They could wander and sting other corals or vice-versa. But as mentioned most of the time an anemone will settle in a spot it finds suitable. Continued wandering is a sign of incorrect conditions, whether it be light, water quality or a combination of factors. Adding the anemone first, and allowing it to settle is the best option.
chris stephens said:
but I've noticed it is growing huge and is getting near my fiji leather
You could frag the leather if it is large and healthy enough. But be aware that sometimes anemones will "over inflate" if they are not receiving the right amount of light, or if water quality is bad, trying to capture more light/energy by increasing their surface area. LTA's are high light anemones.

How about the presence of clowns in a reef - is this not authentic? i'm definitely considering returning the LTA and getting another sarcophyton as a host, seems much safer for the reef in the long run. Is this found in nature at all (sarcophyton hosting clowns)?

Back
Top Bottom