anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAddict

Aquarium Advice Regular
can anyone tell my what kind of anemone this is? i got it last night and the LFS had no idea what it was.

Attachments

• anemone_2_195.jpg
    anemone_2_195.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 469
  • anemone_3_864.jpg
    anemone_3_864.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 473
It looks like a rather bleached out condy to me. A pic from the front would be more helpful.

I see no information on your tank profile, are you set up for an anemone?

Is it me, or are anemone's the most abused animals in this hobby? People see Nemo and immediately go out ot buy a tank, clownfish and an anemone without regard to what they need.

People who have no idea what they are doing buy these things and they are sold by other people who have no idea what they are doing. I have the same type of LFS in my area, a smaller chain name that has a tank of bleached Condy's that one guy tried to pass off to me as an LTA. The tank is in a dark room with no lighting AT ALL over the tank.

Then I have the independent guy down the road who charges a little higher prices for his livestock, but has his anemone's under MH or PC lighting and asks you all sorts of questions about your set-up before he sells one. He has a beautiful HUGE Sebae in his main display tank, so he obviously knows what he is doing.

Don't even get me started on the LARGE chain store that has a tank of LTA's that are clearly unhealthy. I can see some with damaged feet, others bleached. Ugghhh.

i cant get a picture from the front because it is the the front corner of the tank. about me being set up for a anemone. as much as i hate to say it, i think so? i hadnt read much before last night when i got home with him. i asked the guy at petco and the info he gave me made it seem like i was. so i bought it. about 5 min after i left i asked myself why i even listened to the guy because he probably left out some very important details. I have a 10 gal. FOWLR with about 3WPG. he had no idea how big it would get but i have a place i could put him if he out grows the tank. one thing that i was told is that the tank should have been set up for atleast 6 months... thats where i screwed up. its only been set up since early july :(. i think it should be ok though. i only have 1 clown fish and 1 damsel (the damsel will be going to another tank soon) so not a huge bio-load. i read that they need a very stable and clean tank, mine is clean and i try and keep it stable but you can only do so much with a small tank like that. i guess any help i can get would be great. i understand that i screwed up and shouldnt have listened to the petco man but all i can do now is try and make everything the way it should be. thanks in advance for the help

-Andrew-

Not ranting at you. Sorry if I gave that impression, jsut overall ranting about anemone's and how they are treated. I'm sure Nemo has caused the death of more clownfish and anemones than their natural predators in the wild.

I'm sure the experts here can help give this guy a fighting shot. Probably would do better with you than in the Petco tanks. That is the other chian store I have a problem with.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do your best to give him a shot. If it is a Condy though, I don't think 3wpg is going to do it, they are high light anemone's.

Check out http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=619 for some info until the experts can help further.

Just make sure you have a very stable tank and the paramters are as near to perfect as possible. I would think PWC's should help with that.

Good luck with that guy, hope he makes it. I know you will try, unlike 99% of the others out there.

you might want to periodically target feed it with minced shrimp. I would suggest doing this the day before you are going to do your water change. This will help keep the water clean and still feed the anemone.

usually around 10+ watts per gallon , how ever you will want what will give you the most PAR and penetration to the bottom of the tank , an unhappy anenome will walk to find good lighting and perhaps get sucked into a power head and nuke your tank or sting the life out of your other corals ... Your tank should be up a minimum of 1 year with out problems for anenome JMHHO

I would consider anything over 6 wpg as a high light tank. 10 plus is extremely high.

we run 10.3wpg on our 7 and 9wpg on the 2.5 , 8wpg on the 10 and felt that was mod lighting. I would fear putting in another anenome we had 2 one in the 7 one in the 2.5 they out grew the tank in 3 months flat (bad choice for a nano LOL)

I would say its either a condy anemone or a haitian pink tip anemone. either way 4wpg would be a minimum. Is the foot of this anemone tan/orange or a more red hue? if it is tan in color then it is most likely a condy. Be very careful as an anemone can kill a tank in less than 12 hours easily. if you see the anemone swell up and seem to grow quite large in a 1 to 3 day span take your other livestock or the anemone out of the tank as it is dieing. hope this helps.

I believe clowns won't host those. They come from different oceans, but there is still a possibility.

More light and more food = anemone growth.

I've noticed from my experience with various different types of anemones that they prefer a clean, stable tank -- just as much as that of a high wattage, highly fed environment. Not to say that neither of these things aren't necessary or as equally important. Also keep tank circulation/waterflow in mind (moderate, and throughout the entirety of the tank).

Depending on the type of clown, it may or may not host. There's some generally known combos, but sometimes even then they do not match up. And then sometimes a clown hosts with Xenia....

My condy grew rapidly with food but did just fine under appropriate lighting (one small, non-cooked shrimp per week).

roka64 said:
I believe clowns won't host those. They come from different oceans, but there is still a possibility.

Yes they will. :D

Some clowns just like one over another. :wink:

For example i have 3 tomato clowns,on my tank and i had some condys on it and the clowsn would not even look at it,they were the comon Condylactus passiflora species,which is what is sold in most aquariums here in Puerto Rico for $5 dollars each.

Yet i took 3 Condylactus giganteas on the beach here,2 green tentacle ones and one pink,and my tomato clowns love it.

I have this same experiense years ago,when i started in the hoby,with a percula clown fish they would not even look at the condys,yet i found here a carpet anemone on the beach,and my percula fell in love with it,which is odd as here in Puerto Rico there are no clown fish.

imag0107ek6.jpg

imag0106wr7.jpg

Here is a picture of mine.

Cool, thanks for the info, Elrey17.
and
WELCOME TO AA!!

Nice pics, BTW!

... one in the 7 one in the 2.5 they out grew the tank in 3 months flat (bad choice for a nano LOL)

Sadielynn, Were these Condys? Do other anemone grow that quickly? I had no idea!

~Becks

No one was a LTA and the other was a sebae but I fed them too which contributed to the fast growth

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom