Angel Fish - is it normal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
So since one of the two angels died from the store and when I went back I saw like FIVE of them on the bottom of the tank Ive been watching my new guy like a hawk.

He swims around fine and seems to get along fine with my other guys but occasionally goes up to the area between the heater and filter and just hangs there looking up. He doesnt seem to be gasping and his fins are fluttering fine but he just stays there.

Once the light goes off in the tank he disappears, LIKE GONE. I finally found he switches spots to the bottom of the tank in this crevice behind my driftwood and stays there until the lights back on.

Is this normal behavior for them?

I notcied at multiple stores all angels seem to float with a kind of look up position so that doesnt worry me to much.

He eats like a maniac when its food time and then swims around but eventually goes back to his spot and hangs there.

All my levels are good, tested them last night and the temp is roughly around 80 degrees

It sounds like he is hiding.

Do you have plenty of other places in the tank for him to take shelter in such as large plants(fake or real)?

It sounds like he is hiding.

Do you have plenty of other places in the tank for him to take shelter in such as large plants(fake or real)?

Oh yeah
My tank has an abundance of plants and such.

Actually I was home at lunch. I notice his time is more a dusky light setting. It seems he does not like my bright plant light and then when its pitch dark he hides below.

Very odd fish.

My light is set to come on at 3pm now and when I went home for lunch at 1pm the tank had minor ambient light and he was all over the place. Even so much as when he saw me he came to the glass for food.
Perhaps this is just his personality. Ill have to keep watch though because I didnt like seeing so many of his brethren dead in his tank a couple days later at allpets. Plus the second one I bought stressed and died 2 days later. I watched him start fluttering around weird and swimming sideways before he finally sank. He also liked that same spot between the heater and filter.

Hopefully he didnt carry anything with him. I might be giving my Danios to my buddy and Id hate to send bugs to his tank.

I would definitely keep an eye on him.

The behavior you are describing doesn't sound outrageous to me. Hiding in bright light and staying near the bottom for rest periods. Sounds like a stressed fish. How long have you had him?

I would definitely keep an eye on him.

The behavior you are describing doesn't sound outrageous to me. Hiding in bright light and staying near the bottom for rest periods. Sounds like a stressed fish. How long have you had him?

over a week now. When hes swimming he swims fine and seems to swim with my molly quite happily. He loves food time and is just as speedy and competitive as the others.

Im keeping a good watch.

Back
Top Bottom