Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenn89

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a fish tank of 25 gallons and 2 angelfish fish what kind of fish can live with them!!!help please

To begin with, I hope you cycled your tank before you added fish. If not, please refer to the thread about cycling your tank before adding anymore.
Secondly, Angels are cichlids, albeit peaceful cichlids, so they display some cichlid characteristics, like defending their territory when breeding. Still, they make good community fish if kept with other non-aggressive fish. Be careful of small fish though. If it will fit into your angel's mouths, they'll eat it. You may also want to shy away from fast-moving, darting fish, as they may stress your angels. Your tank size limits your selection choices, but I think larger tetras like Congo tetras would do well. Also Denison's barbs. The barbs need to be in groups of at least 3, the tetras in groups twice that. As the barbs can grow to nearly 6", and the Congo tetras to over 3", if you had one or the other, you're pretty much fully stocked with the angels. You could also add a few bronze cories, which also need groups of 3 or more, or a couple smaller growing loaches, such as yoyo or tiger loaches. Make sure you do a bit of research on any fish you choose though, to be sure they aren't fin nippers. To my knowledge, none of the fish I've mentioned will nip your angel's fins.

I have angels with silver dollar tetras serpae tetras white skirt tetras gourami and plecos.

Denisons, congos , and angels in a 25 huh?:facepalm:
As bad as it is I would HIGHLY recommend plugging in any combo with those fish and that tank to this site !
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
:whistle:

My denisons are in my 180gallon with my clown loaches and that silly site I linked says I am 212% stocked.

I as respectfully as possible completely disagree with the above recommendation!:nono::nono::nono:
Does no one on this site have sense to say what is correct even on such a simple topic as stocking???:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I have an aquarium of 36 and one of 55 I do not have angelfish in any. I was not interested and I wanted to deal with them apart to see if at any time added to my tank of 55 gal that I have tetras nothing more 23 to be exact I do not know if it is a lot but so far they are very good. In my 36 gal I have only a total of 9 cichlids american , peacok, african. But thanks for help every one!!!

Denisons, congos , and angels in a 25 huh?:facepalm:
As bad as it is I would HIGHLY recommend plugging in any combo with those fish and that tank to this site !
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
:whistle:

My denisons are in my 180gallon with my clown loaches and that silly site I linked says I am 212% stocked.

I as respectfully as possible completely disagree with the above recommendation!:nono::nono::nono:
Does no one on this site have sense to say what is correct even on such a simple topic as stocking???:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Please read corals post. Please consider proper stocking youll be far more sucessful as will the fish.

The angels would like the 55. They might eat the tetras when they grow large enough.
That is what they eat in the wild..:whistle:
As for the cichlids in the 36,I can't say who is who , but it is commonly considered a real bad idea to mix cichlids from different locations.. When they grow, if they grow ,there will be issues....
I only offer advice that is sound and practiced by the most successful keepers and breeders.
Researching compatibility and requirements should take place BEFORE purchase, not after like what kind of fish do I have?:facepalm:
You are going to waste a lot of money on meds, and dead fish IMO with that approach.. The pet stores will gladly mis inform you and TAKE your money,
as brutal as my info is it is free and correct....

I should have mentioned as coral bandit said, I have my assortment in a 55g.

The angels would like the 55. They might eat the tetras when they grow large enough.
That is what they eat in the wild..:whistle:
As for the cichlids in the 36,I can't say who is who , but it is commonly considered a real bad idea to mix cichlids from different locations.. When they grow, if they grow ,there will be issues....
I only offer advice that is sound and practiced by the most successful keepers and breeders.
Researching compatibility and requirements should take place BEFORE purchase, not after like what kind of fish do I have?:facepalm:
You are going to waste a lot of money on meds, and dead fish IMO with that approach.. The pet stores will gladly mis inform you and TAKE your money,
as brutal as my info is it is free and correct....

Mi cichlids are doing good so far and they are same size i had them over 2 months now. I all ways do some research like i did with the angelfish but thanks a lot for the help.

A 25 might be good enough for a breeding pair of angels and nothing else.

A small group of Cory Dora's they cool little fish to watch and don't need a big tank. But you should have atleast four of the same species Cory Dora. Some would even say six is better. But species only tanks are better

To begin with, I hope you cycled your tank before you added fish. If not, please refer to the thread about cycling your tank before adding anymore.
Secondly, Angels are cichlids, albeit peaceful cichlids, so they display some cichlid characteristics, like defending their territory when breeding. Still, they make good community fish if kept with other non-aggressive fish. Be careful of small fish though. If it will fit into your angel's mouths, they'll eat it. You may also want to shy away from fast-moving, darting fish, as they may stress your angels. Your tank size limits your selection choices, but I think larger tetras like Congo tetras would do well. Also Denison's barbs. The barbs need to be in groups of at least 3, the tetras in groups twice that. As the barbs can grow to nearly 6", and the Congo tetras to over 3", if you had one or the other, you're pretty much fully stocked with the angels. You could also add a few bronze cories, which also need groups of 3 or more, or a couple smaller growing loaches, such as yoyo or tiger loaches. Make sure you do a bit of research on any fish you choose though, to be sure they aren't fin nippers. To my knowledge, none of the fish I've mentioned will nip your angel's fins.

Yoyo s are awesome fish but they are fin nippers. And extremely active which can cause stress. I have 4 angels and 4 yoyo s in my 55 and am likely gonna put the yoyo s in a different tank cause of it.

I have 3 angels in a 55g with rummynose tetras, pristella tetras, harlequin rasboras, 1 clown pleco and a few otocinclus. My tank is also planted which helps with territories and is overfiltered. I have not seen any aggression with my angels, or with any other fish. I have had this setup for well over 2 years now. Just thought I'd chime in =)

Back
Top Bottom