Any advice welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! I've just set up my first aquarium in a couple years, I grew up with my parents having their own fish tank and a couple years ago I had my own small tank of a pair of male and female betas (surprisingly they got along). Anyways, a week ago I acquired my new tank, it's a ten gallon, I let it set for 2 days then bought 3 sunburst platys. They seem to be doing well, except within the first 24 hours my tank water became extremely cloudy, almost milky looking. I did a 50% water change and vacuumed the gravel because I did overfeed them at first. It's taken 5 days but the water is about 90% back to normal (crystal clear) I did add some ammonia neutralizer and a small tablet for ph correction. I'm still not sure exactly what made the take water become that way but I hope I took the right steps to fix the problem. Now that the water cleared I went ahead and added 3 longfin redminor tetras, a ghost shrimp, and a rubber lipped pleco. It seems that all are getting along fine, the pleco is hiding behind a rock at the back and hasn't moved much, hopefully it'll get used to his surroundings soon, I'd like to see it out and about more. Well that's about it for me, any advice for the care of any of my fish would be great. Oh, within 5 hours of me getting the 3 platys, I noticed one of them had babies, 2 are still around, since it's almost impossible to find them without staring at the tank, I doubt I'll be able to catch them and move them somewhere safe so I'm just going to hope for the best! (One more thing, I do know I'm at my limit following the inch per gallon rule, I have a local breeder that buys fish so once someone gets too big (rubber lipped pleco) I can always sell them)

Ok so I would stop adding fish. Your tank has to go through the nitrogen cycle. Since you have purchased fish already you have to do a fish in cycle or take the fish back and do a fishless cycle. If you are going to choose to do a fish in cycle, you had some work.
The water became cloudy most likely from what is called a bacteria bloom. Which is your tank trying to build up it's biological filtration to remove ammonia and nitrites from your water.

Back
Top Bottom