Any suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ARon9501

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I just wanted to ask the whole community for any advice on where I can take my comet goldfish that has gotten to big. Initially this goldfish was bought for a goldfish tank I had but they all died except for this one. Now he has grown to big and I don't know what to do. The reason I don't want him anymore is because I am planning to convert my tank into an cichlid tank and I know he will get bullied on by them. So yea, I would like to get advice from anyone on where I can take him.

Alot of nicer aquarium stores have displays for fresh, salt, and ponds and would be happy to take a nice large fish for their showcase. Some have a policy to not pay for these fish, but you can at least be confident that they will take extra good care of it. My favourite store here in Chicago has a large koi pond in the middle of the showroom.

You could also post it on craigslist if you wish to sell it to someone. You just won't really know who it is going to. Another option is donating to a local aquarium. My friend donated her whole freshwater setup to the Shedd Aquarium :). It was mostly various angelfish. And I suppose they could always refuse your donation, but they have many tanks to fill and expert technicians checking the tanks daily.

Lastlym you could always donate him to your LFS like petsmart or petco and they can sell/adopt him out. The only worry with that is that it will go in a small tank until it is sold. These tanks are usually overstocked and too small for a fully grown goldfish. It might not be such a happy transition, but is certainly an option.

These are just some ideas for you.

Last edited:
Call your LFS or a petco they usually take pets in. Last resort craiglist or the likes of that.

Back
Top Bottom