Anyone keep Guinea pigs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I so don't want to join a separate forum if I don't have to ... :)

Little man was excited to have his own tank with frogs for his 4th birthday but at 6+, when the frogs died, he asked for something furry.

Looking for opinions and info on habitat and logistics, so I can assess whether I can give them a really good home and not have them take over :) the thought at the moment is a 2' x 8' C&C habitat with fleece lining, in the bedroom.

If someone pops up I'll say more!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are stinky rodents, lol. Parents end up doing most the maintenance. They are cute though but can easily get lost in the house. So yes kept them for a short time. Most experiences were as a kid with best friend keeping one - Herbie, who would make cute whoop noises but mostly be ignored.

Hermit crabs aren't furry but are easy to take care of, and don't care if they are ignored a little.

I kept piggies when my son was 7-9 years old. They can become very tame and easy to handle. They can be lots of fun and are totally happy to be petted and fed. But I have never been able to potty train one and the urine really smells. Make sure you get a cage with high sides. They back into a corner to potty and will potty out of the cage if the have upper levels not covered. Guinea pig urine streaked walls. Not fun.

And change the litter daily to keep the smell down.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks!

Think I'm going to save up for a pet deposit and get a pair of cats instead ;-)

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Go for girl cats...less marking the territory (though girls are capable of doing that too - wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself!!!) Even if they are fixed at an early age, males are more apt to do it.

Happy life with your future pets!

From what I remember my kids had two of them I long hair and a short hair very friendly but the downside is They tend to wee a lot and when you let them out they run quite fast and are hard to catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom