Aquaclear 70 filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperman

Aquarium Advice Activist
We purchased a brand new Aquaclear 70 HOB. Quick question. After putting the sponge, carbon, and bio bag they supply in the filter there is quite a bit of space from the top bio bag to the top of the filter. Is that normal for this filter because of it's size?

Thanks

Yes. I run an AC 50, and 2 AC 110's. for HOB's they are fantastic. I just use the sponge and bio media. I don't use carbon, and usually no need to unless your removing medications and such from the tank. If you remove the carbon (save it for when you need it), you can add more bio media (the ceramic rings) and I also use poly floss between the sponge and bio bag to help remove the small particles. Just replace the floss as needed. Great filters!

Ya thats normal. I just use the sponge and bio media and I added filter floss a.k.a. poly-fil

Do you put the floss in the middle of the sponge and bio media to replace the carbon? Can I remove the carbon bag and let it dry and use it later if needed since I just started the filter a hour ago?

Hello hyp...

The water in this type of HOB is pushed upwards so it passes through all three levels of filter media. The media will float slightly, so the space is to allow a little extra room at the top of the filter. Without this bit of space at the top, the flat, plastic cover could be pushed up too high and might come off.

B

Yes you can save it. From the bottom up, use the big rectangle sponge, then a layer of filter floss then the bio bag on top. I've never had to replace my sponge yet, just rinse the sponge and bio bag in old tank water during PWC. Saves bacteria and money. Just need to replace the sponge when it starts to fall apart. However, the filter floss I have to change almost weekly with my PWC.

Attachments

• image-949234164.jpg
    image-949234164.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 57
Hello hyp...

The water in this type of HOB is pushed upwards so it passes through all three levels of filter media. The media will float slightly, so the space is to allow a little extra room at the top of the filter. Without this bit of space at the top, the flat, plastic cover could be pushed up too high and might come off.

B

Agree, it will get pushed up too if your filter gets too dirty and clogs up. So it's important to rinse them at least every other change, just make sure it's old tank water. Tap water will kill all the BB that's accumulated and you don't want that :)

Just to add variety, I usually have the sponge at the bottom, the ceramic next, with floss on top. And the floss lasts a long time too. I rinse and squeeze it out like the sponge and don't replace it until it begins to shred into small balls and bits. Saves a fair bit of cash that way, and while it does turn grey, that does not stop it from working just fine.

I often stick a second smaller sponge in too, to have a spare in case of need for a new filter. Carbon is not needed, only to remove meds, odour or colour from water. Dry it out and save it in case of future need.

OK. I will get floss. This afternoon the water is cloudy, whitish tint. It was clear all day yesterday and last night. I put the Aquaclear on its lowest setting overnight. When I got home from work the water is cloudy. I have put the filter on it's highest setting now to see if that helps. I did rinse the sponge, the carbon and the bio bag but maybe not enough? I ordered a mag filter from angelplus to cycle the tank. I used one last time with great success. It should arrive on Wednesday so I need to get this water cleared up before then.

So I need to rinse the sponge in old tank water every other week? Does leaving the carbon in while I am starting up the tank cause a problem? I don't mind buying another one if I need it someday. After a few weeks I could then replace the carbon with filter floss. Do I buy the floss at my LFS?

I just opened the top of the filter and noticed the bio bag and carbon had floated to the top of the basket, not resting on the sponge. Is this normal?

I rinse my pads in tank water in a 5 gallon pail when I do my PWC every week. Sometimes every other week. I have a 90g tank with 2 AC 110 filters and I use an Aqueon water changer so I scoop out about a gallon of water into my bucket to rinse them. I also rinse my bio bag when it gets chunky stuff in it but then I don't rinse the sponge. I have never used carbon so I can't tell you if it affects the cycling process or not. However, I have 2 boxes of it that came with the filters just in case I need to medicate the tank for some reason. You can buy filter floss at petsmart or LFS but I went to Walmart and got that bag from the crafts department for like $7. I know if you get it from petsmart it's gonna cost a lot more. This bag has lasted me a year and I still have half left. There's a pic of it I added in an earlier post on here for you. I just cut a piece to size. As for the bag floating, I don't know if everyone had that problem with theirs but when I first got my filters they floated to the top. They don't anymore and to be honest I don't know when they started resting on the floss lol.

Back
Top Bottom