Aqueon replacement filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echoDreamz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read somewhere that you could use a different brand filter cartridge, but I cannot find the article or information anywhere. Does anyone know the alternate brand I can use in my Aqueon HOB filters?

Thanks!

Not sure but i dislike those HOB filters that use proprietary 'cartridges' ... If i were you id get an upgrade and go with an Aqua Clear filter. You can totally customize the filter media, although the media and sponge that comes with them are some of the best.

I really like the Aqueon HOB's I have, but I don't use their cartridges. I buy a bag of marineland's filter media that you can cut to any size you want and then I rubberband it to the blue "bio" insert and put it in.

Using a rubberband just feels so wrong. Is there anything I can do that does not involve non aquarium items?

Well, I don't use rubberbands with coloring on them. I haven't had any problems with using them other than they lose their elasticity over time.

Simple, yet effective. Not a perfect solution but I'd rather do this than use any companies proprietary cartridge. I do the same thing on my 400 gph aqueon and it works just as well.

Attachments

• DSCI0032.jpg
    DSCI0032.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCI0033.jpg
    DSCI0033.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 108
Thanks! Does not look too bad :) How do those filters hold up? When you clean them do you just squeeze them out in tank water when you do water changes? Do they last a lot longer? And do you add any carbon in them?

You didn't say what size Aqueon filter you have.

The Foster Smith BIO3 cartridges made for the Marineland Penguin 200 filters fit perfectly in place of the Aqueon Large filters and are dirt cheap.

Also, the Marineland Rite Size C is also a direct replacement fit for the Aqueon Large cartridge.

Aqueon replacement cartridge prices are crazy high and not worth a fraction of what they charge for them.

You didn't say what size Aqueon filter you have.

The Foster Smith BIO3 cartridges made for the Marineland Penguin 200 filters fit perfectly in place of the Aqueon Large filters and are dirt cheap.

Also, the Marineland Rite Size C is also a direct replacement fit for the Aqueon Large cartridge.

Aqueon replacement cartridge prices are crazy high and not worth a fraction of what they charge for them.

Duh! Such an idiot... Sorry... I have 2 55/75's. They take the "Large" Aqueon cartridges.

Yes - the Bio3 filters are MUCH cheaper, unfortunately they are out of the bigger 24 pack and the plastic frame (which I assume I would need).

Thanks! Does not look too bad :) How do those filters hold up? When you clean them do you just squeeze them out in tank water when you do water changes? Do they last a lot longer? And do you add any carbon in them?

These hold up fine I just squeeze them out when the water flow slows down. I haven't had one fall apart yet since I started using them around March. I do about once a month take the filter box off the tank and clean everything. I don't use carbon normally, but I have a mesh bag that I use for that to place in the filter box.

I agree with hpiguy, the aqueon cartridges are the worst carts I've ever seen. They are very flimsy and there's not much to them.

These hold up fine I just squeeze them out when the water flow slows down. I haven't had one fall apart yet since I started using them around March. I do about once a month take the filter box off the tank and clean everything. I don't use carbon normally, but I have a mesh bag that I use for that to place in the filter box.

I agree with hpiguy, the aqueon cartridges are the worst carts I've ever seen. They are very flimsy and there's not much to them.

I hate that they are so hard to clean, hard to "rinse" them off, cannot really squeeze them clean :). And the fact that I have to cut them up to get the carbon out etc.

I gotta say... I started using pillow stuffing in place of the Aqueon cartridges, and WOW!!! What a difference!! Super clear water! Only thing I am seeing is that it backs up the water a little bit, so will have to play around with keeping the water level down :)

Back
Top Bottom