are air stones/bubbler needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a bubbler/air stone in both my 10G (Betta tank) and my 36 Bow Front. I don't have them going crazy fast. So, do they really do anything? is it just aesthetics? I have a Fluval 205 in my 36G and a inside the tank Fluval U (?)

Are they detriments to using air stones? both tanks are planted.

As long as the filter provide enough surface agitation, you won't need one unless you like the look of it.

It short, there for looks. This has been debated for years and will continue for years to come. My answer will echo the above. If your filters are doing the job there is no reason for one. Only time I've used them is 1. The wife one the fight but I ended up winning the battle (y) 2. If power goes out I'll add a bunch in my 75g to help move the water along with doing water changes.

They are not needed as long as there is enough surface agitation. I have always liked the look of them.

I sometimes use it if I need to medicate or during the summer when we have really warm weather down here in South Florida. We're subject to hurricanes so I keep several battery operated B11s on standby. For the most part, they're really not needed, although I do enjoy the sound of a slow flowing air stone. If you decide to use one, make sure to install a check valve.

Some forms of filtration require an air pump, but that's certainly not the case with your setup.

David

In a heavily planted tank I like to have air going as the plants consume oxygen at night also. May not really be a problem but it sure doesn't hurt to have it. OS.

Back
Top Bottom