Are Rubbermaid Tubs OK for a QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's not that I'm a cheap skate, but I've gor several 20 gallon plastic tubs leftover from my brewing days. Wondering if thye'd be OK as a QT.

I figure the opaque nature of the plastic might help the fish. But then again, you probably couldn't get them as clean as glass.

Thx

Mike

As long as you can provide good water conditions I would think so. I would be concerned with reusing something that was used for brewing though. A new tub might be the better option.

I have kept fish in a tub for a couple of days before waiting transfer.

I agree it can work. Also, chances are you're gonna spend more on your fish than you will a new tub. Buy a new one.

I just used these tubs to store barley malt. I think they'd work, but I'll probably go with a glass QT.

With $4 grand into this hobby, whats another $50 bucks?

:roll:

the rubbermaid isnt a problem.. people use them as sumps all the time.. If you know that barley malt will not be harmfull (clueless here) then the ones you already have would be fine..

Safest bet is with glass or a new tub. You never know what might have leached into the plastic of the used one.

One goal of a QT is to *watch* the fish for problems. If you can't see the fish very well, then it's hard to notice a problem and be able to treat it quickly. I had a sick fish in a hospital bucket and I'd have to remove the fish's rock every day to see how he was doing. That was VERY stressful for him. If I had had him in a tank he probably would have survived. :cry:

I'd recommend a tank.

Back
Top Bottom