Asian River Cats/Anchor Fish and CO2 supplementation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnailorJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon well planted with 8 celestial pearl danios and 2 Asian river cats/anchor fish. I originally had 3 but one just died :( I had difficulties getting them to eat at first but now they are eating frozen bloodworms if I put them in after dark (I've been a me to see then eating). I don't know if my third one died because he wasn't eating the brine shrimp pellets or algae wafers, and I only fed bloodworms once before he died and that was when lights were on. Another concern I have is CO2 levels. I know they need high levels of dissolved oxygen. I have an aquaclear 20 running, so I have good water flow. However, I am also working on a dwarf hair grass carpet so I had been supplementing liquid CO2. I was originally supplementing probably 2 ml twice a day, but now I'm going only once a day. Is there a chance that my other fish died because I was supplementing too much co2? Are my remaining fish in danger? Is it safe to continue the CO2 or should I stop it and hope for the best for my carpet?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 10 gallon well planted with 8 celestial pearl danios and 2 Asian river cats/anchor fish. I originally had 3 but one just died :( I had difficulties getting them to eat at first but now they are eating frozen bloodworms if I put them in after dark (I've been a me to see then eating). I don't know if my third one died because he wasn't eating the brine shrimp pellets or algae wafers, and I only fed bloodworms once before he died and that was when lights were on. Another concern I have is CO2 levels. I know they need high levels of dissolved oxygen. I have an aquaclear 20 running, so I have good water flow. However, I am also working on a dwarf hair grass carpet so I had been supplementing liquid CO2. I was originally supplementing probably 2 ml twice a day, but now I'm going only once a day. Is there a chance that my other fish died because I was supplementing too much co2? Are my remaining fish in danger? Is it safe to continue the CO2 or should I stop it and hope for the best for my carpet?

Theres no such thing as liquid co2. There's only liquid carbon :whistle:. In which case, doesn't actually add co2.

Yes, liquid carbon is what I meant. But am I mistaken in believing that adding carbon of any form can affect the dissolved oxygen levels? I was sure someone had told me as much on another thread.

It doesn't.... Liquid carbon does nothing unless overdosed...

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom