At a loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 55g that currently has a few platys in it and a dwarf gourami. They seem to be very happy (some of the platys look healthy but stay on the bottom so I wonder if the current in my tank is too high or something)

I have an aqueon 55/75 HOB filter and my readings are as follows:

pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm to MAYBE 5.0ppm or somewhere in between. Its not yellow but it isn't orange either.

I use an API Master test kit and I shake the crap out of the Nitrate bottles before testing.

I don't understand why I have 0ppm for Ammonia and Nitrite but no Nitrates. I mean there should be SOMETHING since there are fish in it and have been for a while, right?

You have such a light bioload you may not see much more than 5 on your nitrates if you're doing regular water changes. How often and how much are you doing?

Agree with the above; your bioload is pretty light for a tank of that size, so nitrates won't rise that fast. My tank never gets above 5-10 nitrates even if I miss a week of water changes --I'm stocked pretty lightly for a 40 gal plus I have live plants. I wouldn't worry about it as long as ammonia and nitrite stay at 0.

Back
Top Bottom