Bacterial Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robynleigh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys just a quick one from me - I did a 50% water change 2 days ago - replaced the filter floss and washed the sponges in the dirty tank water - late last night the water started clouding - all levels are fine - have been testing like a mad woman thinking I'd done something - the only reason I can come up with is bacterial bloom??? Do I need to do anything about this or just keep an eye on fish and keep checking the levels??

Is it possible that replacing the filter floss completely and squeezing out your sponges actually removed a lot of the bb? Bacterial bloom is often a symptom of a (re) cycling tank.

I would suggest keep a close eye on your water parameters over the next coming days.

Is it possible that replacing the filter floss completely and squeezing out your sponges actually removed a lot of the bb? Bacterial bloom is often a symptom of a (re) cycling tank.

I would suggest keep a close eye on your water parameters over the next coming days.

Bugger :-/ I've done it the same way on this tank for ages and never happened to me before :-/

Bugger :-/ I've done it the same way on this tank for ages and never happened to me before :-/

Well keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels. Keep the prime and freshwater handy. There will be bb left behind that will regrow and shouldn't take long to get back up to speed.

In future, it's safer to put the new filter floss in with the old one for a week (just pack it in) before throwing the old one out. Gives the bb a chance to start growing on the new floss so you don't experience a mini cycle.

When cleaning sponge a few good swishes and light squeezes is enough.

How do you know it's a bacterial bloom?
You stirred the filter and it released some dirt.
Try not replacing any floss or media next time.

Well keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels. Keep the prime and freshwater handy. There will be bb left behind that will regrow and shouldn't take long to get back up to speed.

In future, it's safer to put the new filter floss in with the old one for a week (just pack it in) before throwing the old one out. Gives the bb a chance to start growing on the new floss so you don't experience a mini cycle.

When cleaning sponge a few good swishes and light squeezes is enough.

Great will do thanks heaps for the advice :) :)

How do you know it's a bacterial bloom?
You stirred the filter and it released some dirt.
Try not replacing any floss or media next time.

I don't know it's a bacterial bloom - but all googling and researching takes me to that conclusion.... That's why I am asking advice on a forum designed to give advice - because I haven't experienced this before when my method of wc has not changed...

The floss needed replacing it was well and truly overdue and unfortunately for my fish I'll be unable to do much with the tank over the next few weeks as I'm expecting - so I thought I'd attempt to do the right thing by them while I am able....

It's tough to tell, I would say the fact that you changed filter media and cleaned the filter some stuff from the filter got into the water?
I'd hate for you to start treating the tank not really knowing what the problem is. I would go as far as doing another water change if it doesn't settle soon, I know you have far more important things coming your way but keep us posted, congratulations!!!
God bless

Back
Top Bottom