BADLY Injured Ottocinclus: Please help w/ health and healing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmateurAquarist

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
An Ottocinclus got stuck in my bonsai tree yesterday, he was injured trying to escape and now has a swollen gill and a shredded causal (rear) fin...
Is there ANYTHING I can do to help his recovery or pain (either to avoid death or greatly ease his suffering)?

DETAILS: The Otto did survive through the night (this injury happened yesterday but I wasn't able to get photo); which I'm hoping is a good sign. However, Otto now seems lethargic/unwilling to swim, looking for places of cholla/driftwood to rest. *I have turned off the light to assist in recovery and relaxation. I also treated with API Stress Coat+ and Vita-Chem multivitamin solution.

PS: Obv I removed him permanently from the aquarium with bonsai (placing him in low-current peaceful tank)

Attachments

• PSX_20210203_104501.jpg
    PSX_20210203_104501.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 21
You could treat with melafix and pimafix, they are not curative medicines, more like an antiseptic. But they are decent at warding off bacterial and fungal infections from injuries

You could treat with melafix and pimafix, they are not curative medicines, more like an antiseptic. But they are decent at warding off bacterial and fungal infections from injuries

Thank you! I have both currently in stock.

Would it be a good idea to do small partial water changes (10%) every morning starting today, to continue supplying pure reverse osmosis water? I'm really just looking for any advantage.

Clean water is always a plus. The real issue in healing him is secondary infection. He'll heal up fine if you can keep it in check. Clean water will sure help cut down on the bacteria in the water column. Then retreat according to the directions after water changes

Clean water is always a plus. The real issue in healing him is secondary infection. He'll heal up fine if you can keep it in check. Clean water will sure help cut down on the bacteria in the water column. Then retreat according to the directions after water changes

Thanks much, good point about infection being the real silent killer since the fish is in a weakened state right now unable to ward off bacteria like normal. I just got done with a water change and supplemented with aquarium salt to help start healing the visible injuries.

Back
Top Bottom