baking soda usage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm... I would like to know as well. I hear people use it to increase ph and at the same time, buffer the water.

What's wrong with your tap water? You tested your tap water?

I use it. Just see what your tap parameters are and use a 5 gallon bucket as a test sample. Add bit by bit until you get your desired pH or KH and calculate from there.

For example (completely made up numbers, DON'T follow these measurements), a 50g tank with a pH of 7.5 from tap water. You add 1 tablespoon of baking soda to a 5 gallon bucket of tap water and it raises to 8.0, so to get your entire tank to that pH, you use 10 tablespoons. For each 25% water change after your tank has reached 8.0 pH, you add 2.5 tablespoons of baking soda to maintain that pH.

If you're trying to raise your pH, raise it by 0.1 or so per water change over the next few weeks, otherwise you risk of harming the fish. ALWAYS double check and frequently check your water parameters if you're going this method and start to raise the pH, everyone's circumstances and water are different, so it's always safer to double check your water to make sure everything is in check. When I first started doing this, I checked my pH every 2-3 days for 3 weeks. Now I only check once a week and everything is stable.

Back
Top Bottom