Balls of algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Cougrrr

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can anyone help me I.D. this kind of algae, and tell me what causes it and how to get rid of it? It is a brownish/green color, like a really dark khaki, and mostly grows in fuzzy balls on my decor.

My water parameters seem to be normal:
ammonia = 0 ppm
nitrite = 0 ppm
nitrate = 10 ppm
pH = 7.5

I've added some pictures (hopefully they loaded alright). I've never encountered anything like it before.

Attachments

• 100_0685.jpg
    100_0685.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_0688.jpg
    100_0688.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 89
Hydrogen peroxide will also kill it but a dip is best. I have used it successfully on annubias and driftwood but the stems can just be cut.

Oh, dear, black beard algae it is! Looks like it is caused by phosphates from overfeeding? I am overfeeding some, to keep the bacteria alive with just my single betta in the tank. I guess I'd better stop that!

Are you using CO2 at all? I have found BBA to be caused by inconsistent CO2 levels. But it wouldn't surprise me if phosphates contribute...you may also have phosphates in your water. You may not want to overfeed...are you trying to get more bacteria to support increased bioload soon?

Thank you so much, everyone, for your replies and advice!

I took out my decor and did a peroxide dip on them and did a partial water change to get as much of the free-floating algae out of the tank as I could. I will buy some Excel tonight to have on hand if this stuff takes over again.

I'm not using C02; my plants are artificial. I'm guessing it's the overfeeding that caused this. I was trying to keep enough bacteria in there to support a heavier bioload if and when I decide to add more fish than just my one betta. But I've nixed that, and will just add fish slowly to allow the bacteria to increase when I'm ready.

Thanks again! Wish me luck in eliminating this nasty stuff!

Getting a syringe and squirting the Excel directly on the algae seems to work best for me. You can use a syringe like for oral medications.....kid syringes.

If the plants are plastic, you can get rid of BBA with bleach. <Less expensive & more direct kill than Excel .... Excel is great for live plants with BBA tho. and most of the comments made are meant for live plants that you can't remove from the tank & treat.>

I bleach my decor with 1:10 bleach & that killed the BBA. Just make sure you rinse lots after & soak in water + dechlor (a 4-5x dose) before returning to the tank (so you don't introduce bleach to your fish.)

PS - bleach may take out color of silk plants .... so plastic only!

Back
Top Bottom