Barb advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenski

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, I have a 7 gallon tank and have been advised in time, it can house 6 Neons and there were some kind of Barbs which name I have forgotten but it begins with N and they were in the tank with the Neons, they looked like Tigers but smaller and more placid. He advised I could have 6 of each.

Does anyone know the name of them?

Also, I have been sold some fluid that sorts the ammonia/nitrate problem and he said to leave it running for a few days. This man appears to know his stuff, he stocks marines too and they are so beautiful, my god the Clownfish are GORGEOUS, pity I can't own one but oh well. :(

The barb you are thinking about ids probably Puntius nigrofasciatus-the black ruby barb.
They get to be a couple of inches long, I would advise that if you want barbs go with a cherry barb. They stay about the same size as a neon.

I do have an important question though.
It seems to me, by your posting, that this tank has not been cycled. Is this so?

Hi,

No the tank isn't set up yet, I was just looking at fish for an idea of what is on offer and so I can do research into them, I am hopefully starting to cycle over the weekend when my equipment arrives. :)

He said this fluid he has sold me will speed up the process.

This is good.
Cycling can take a month, some times more, be patient.
Plants will also speed things up some if you choose to go that route.
After it's cycled ad your fish 4 - 6 at a time over a months time.

Have fun and beware of MTS. It's very difficult to combat.

Hi, what is MTS?

I am thinking of getting 6 Petrazona (?) Barbs, then that is it. Is it a good idea to get 6 at first in one go?

Yes I will be patient, I want to do this right. :D

Back
Top Bottom